Is Suunto M9 compass suitable for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfsusa

Reaction score
Hi, everybody

Does anyone have any diving experience with Suunto M9 compass? I have seen that compass on a few hardcore divers exploring blue holes on Bahamas. That compass has really small profile and can be easily attached to a wrist computer rubber band.

Everyone input will be highly appreciated.

- Gary

If you want a digital compass, why not just buy the Suunto D9 computer with integrated compass?

bcsean:
If you want a digital compass, why not just buy the Suunto D9 computer with integrated compass?
:06:
No, I'm talking about a simple old M-9 Wrist compass:
– suunto's M-9 is a compact, highly accurate, luminous, sighting, wrist compass.
- sighting window for accurate bearings
- 2.53 ratcheting capsule can be turned to set the desired direction
- grooves on upper edge of capsule for easy turning
- available in black with black polyester adjustable strap
- capsule Dimensions: 1.6" x 1.9 ' x 0.6"
- Weight: 34 g (1.2 oz)

Well, I think I am a bit old school when it comes to compasses. Never heard of a digital one that did not flaw sooner or later. Maybe they have changed, but I would just rather use the tried and true magnetic ones.

bcsean:
My bad, when I searched for Suunto M9 to see what you were talking about, this is what I came up with,

http://navcity.co.uk/catalog/images/SUUNTO-M9.jpg
It looks confusing, but Suunto is selling two different items under the same model #.

I spoke to the guy who used the OLD M-9 magnetic compass during deep dives (>200') for years and did not have any problem with it. However Suunto does not recommend to use that compass for diving.

sfsusa:
It looks confusing, but Suunto is selling two different items under the same model #.

I spoke to the guy who used the OLD M-9 magnetic compass during deep dives (>200') for years and did not have any problem with it. However Suunto does not recommend to use that compass for diving.

They do not want it to be used for diving.....hmmm.....let me look into it. I will get back to you. I think there are some other companies that make digital compasses too. :eek:uttahere

I wonder what angle of float you get in that compass. seems really flat and very likely it'd be difficult to use underwater. The SK7 allows 30 degrees either way, which is great as far as Im' concerned. Good luck sorting this out.

bcsean:
I wonder what angle of float you get in that compass. seems really flat and very likely it'd be difficult to use underwater. The SK7 allows 30 degrees either way, which is great as far as Im' concerned. Good luck sorting this out.
I installed the Suunto M9 magnetic compass on Tusa IQ-800 computer's rubber band (see attached pic. made right after a dive by my cell phone) The compass is very easy to use underwater despite a tilt is much less compares to the SK7 compass. It's very accurate for a basic underwater navigation. Tested it at the depth below 100' without any problems yesterday.

Dive safe.

This is the compass I use. I used it to 190'. While it doesn't have the tilt axis like the SK7, you can shoot a bearing and rotate your wrist up and the compass stays locked on the bearing you just took. It's small enough that it fits in the slipstream of my Casio watch. This compass takes some getting used to but it does the job well. It glows nicely at night as well.
I bought mine from the Compass Store on Yahoo Shopping for $27.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom