Paladin for Palm dive logging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have an old Palm m100 and Paladin but with PC interface, and convertor for use with Palm synch cable. I dont seem to be able to use Paladin. After opening it, when I select "receive", I always get the same alert message- "can't open serial connection", or something like that. What is wrong? I have tried with cables and contacts in place and without. The result is still the same. I know that the interface works because I use the PC part of it to download to Wlog on my PC. The hotsynch facility on the Palm works OK too. I do need to download to my Palm for dive trips however. What can I do to sort it? HELP!

herpetological:
I have an old Palm m100 and Paladin but with PC interface, and convertor for use with Palm synch cable. I dont seem to be able to use Paladin. After opening it, when I select "receive", I always get the same alert message- "can't open serial connection", or something like that. What is wrong? I have tried with cables and contacts in place and without. The result is still the same. I know that the interface works because I use the PC part of it to download to Wlog on my PC. The hotsynch facility on the Palm works OK too. I do need to download to my Palm for dive trips however. What can I do to sort it? HELP!

I am a little confused as to exactly what the problems is.
From what I understand, you can download your Aladin to your PC with your adapter, and that your hot-synch cable works, but you can't download your dives into your palm-pilot?

My first question is do you have a null-modem adapter between the hot-synch cable and the palm?

BLT:
I am a little confused as to exactly what the problems is.
From what I understand, you can download your Aladin to your PC with your adapter, and that your hot-synch cable works, but you can't download your dives into your palm-pilot?

My first question is do you have a null-modem adapter between the hot-synch cable and the palm?

Thank you very much for replying. In answer to your question, "yes I do have a null-modem adapter betweenthe hot-synch and the Palm." Have you any ideas? Is there any way to test the null'modem adapter or other connections? I still can't get the Aladin to download to Palm.

Regards,
Allan

Sorry for dragging out the replies...
Here are a couple random ideas

I have had problems downloading Paladin when my Palm (3xe) batteries are low.

For my downloader, I need the null modem adapter and gender changer for my Palm, but not for downloading directly to my PC.

Under the "Options" menu (on the opening "dives" page) I am assuming you have cable selected for receive and send. I think the check box for emulating the Memomouse is only for downloading to Datatrack/talk. I use WLog for downloading straight to the PC or from the Palm to the PC

You have probably read this before (most likely about a dozen times) but here is a link to the "instructions" for Paladin: http://pakuro.is.sci.toho-u.ac.jp/aladin/screenshots-e.html

Other than those suggestions, I don't have any more pearls of wisdom. You might try emailing the guy who wrote Paladin, or check out some of the other downloader pages such as Mathias (actually I think there might be 2 guys named Mathias who have downloader pages) to see if they have any other inspirations, or somebody else here, who knows electronics might be able to help (I don't know much about electronics).

If hotsynch is running in the system tray it will have the com port locked. Right click on the icon and choose exit to close the app and release the com port then try Paladin.

spyder:
If hotsynch is running in the system tray it will have the com port locked. Right click on the icon and choose exit to close the app and release the com port then try Paladin.

That might be a solution to problems downloading dives FROM Paladin, but in this case he hasn't been able to get dives into paladin on his Palm Pilot...

BLT:
That might be a solution to problems downloading dives FROM Paladin, but in this case he hasn't been able to get dives into paladin on his Palm Pilot...
Thanks for the replies. You are right, I cannot get the dives to download from Aladin to Paladin on the Palm. Could the null-modem adapter be faulty? Is there any way to test this eg. with another application or some kind of circuit tester? Please keep the ideas coming. :10:
Regards,
Allan

Oops, my bad.

herpetological:
Thanks for the replies. You are right, I cannot get the dives to download from Aladin to Paladin on the Palm. Could the null-modem adapter be faulty? Is there any way to test this eg. with another application or some kind of circuit tester? Please keep the ideas coming. :10:
Regards,
Allan

:06: Here is another stupid possibility (maybe) that you may or may not have tried.
If I remember correctly, on my setup, the null modem adapter can be "reversed" (ie unplugged and turned 180 degrees around) so there is a right way and a wrong way to install it into the downloader circuit. When I originally put mine together I had to fiddle around with it until I got the adapter facing the proper direction, then I used different colored markers so I could just match up the colors to reassemble it.

Good Luck Allan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom