Philippines Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisDur

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I thoroughly enjoy this forum and have learned much. I know it's criminal, but my wife and I just like to snorkel. We've had great times in Australia, West Papua, Bali, and Malaysia. Now I'm looking into the Philippines. Basically, I'm looking for advice on what we like (simple family place to stay / easy access to coral / pleasant island). By "Family" I mean local people own it and not a big resort. We try when possible to add to the local economy. Anyway, I'd like advice from anyone who has stayed at that "Perfect" place with great underwater diversity a swim away and the owner's kids ready to kick a ball around. Nice breeze, decent food, and a mixture of marine life and local culture that makes you glad to recommend. No harm trying.

Sincerely,

Chris Durniak Chico, California

ChrisDur:
Hi, I thoroughly enjoy this forum and have learned much. I know it's criminal, but my wife and I just like to snorkel. We've had great times in Australia, West Papua, Bali, and Malaysia. Now I'm looking into the Philippines. Basically, I'm looking for advice on what we like (simple family place to stay / easy access to coral / pleasant island). By "Family" I mean local people own it and not a big resort. We try when possible to add to the local economy. Anyway, I'd like advice from anyone who has stayed at that "Perfect" place with great underwater diversity a swim away and the owner's kids ready to kick a ball around. Nice breeze, decent food, and a mixture of marine life and local culture that makes you glad to recommend. No harm trying.

Sincerely,

Chris Durniak Chico, California

I'd like to recommend Sipalay in the island of Negros. Its a nice quiet remote place. If you have been to Boracay 15 years ago and liked it, this you will surely like. Here is a link to 1 of the 5 resorts in that place. http://www.takatuka-lodge.com/
Its not a divers paradise but its great for people who would like to relax in a nice quiet place with the most hospitable Filipinos around.

nothing to be shy about being a snorkler... was just that for 30BC (30 years before certification) and gave me access to the ocean i loved so much... thank God for luck since i'm now in a different era: 1AD (1 year after diving) hehehehe

you can pretty much take your pick off any resort in anilao... the advertised ones of course are bigger than the family-run spartan operations, but many anilao resorts are locally owned (so you're helping the economy)... even the advertised/ websited ones

on galera you have more foreigner (european, american, korean, aussie, etc.) operations although again you get the gamut from simple to posh

both destinations generally have simple house reefs (or full-blown dive sites) just off shore and are very entertaining to snorkel through

anilao is a more laid back community although not a great place to go strolling down the beach (there is none) or really strolling the local community (there isn't much really)... galera gives you better options along that end

you can click my link below though, it's a locally owned resort and is both simple but very comfy... food's excellent (you can ask around) and snorkling's just 30 feet off shore

Jag

Thanks to you both...........any other thoughts would be appreciated. I do know that my wife likes to wander the beach and pick up shells. We both like birds too---which usually means larger islands, but my original question is mainly about a nice family place with coral.

ChrisDur:
Thanks to you both...........any other thoughts would be appreciated. I do know that my wife likes to wander the beach and pick up shells. We both like birds too---which usually means larger islands, but my original question is mainly about a nice family place with coral.

Go to club paradise in Palawan.
try this out clubparadisepalawan.com.

you and the missus and kids will like the place very much and there is the tour at calauit island. It's an african mini-safari, no kidding!

Palawan is best.

some tips. End June , the winds ergo waves pick up on the west side of the entire archipelago. so from July to September make sure the location you are going to would be covered from the South west winds and waves.

THe dive resort i normally hang out (weekends from manila) is owned by my former officemate who just resigned from our office this year to give his time to their resort full time. The owners are both PADI OWSI, at this time the sea infront of their resort is very calm. they just finished constructing a swimming pool for confined SCUBA classes. If you are interested PM me and i'll give you more details

Thanks for the replies. We don't have kids. I've just always stayed at places that local families owned -- so I enjoy other's children. Easier that way. At least that's what my wife says.

I've been searching the Internet about these areas in the Philippines. Sounds quite nice. I guess just stay out of the hills of southern Mindanoa.

We're heading back to Bali in 2 weeks. Meeting up with some friends. Lipah, Pemuteran, and a few days in Ubud. Philippines will be some time in the next year. If anyone else comes across this and has an opinion.............keep in mind---we don't have kids and are interested in just a mellow family run place with great coral nearby and a local village and folks we can support with our Yankee dollars. Thanks again...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom