Why should I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Natasha, our travel godess has posed a question - asking for interest to arrange for a cavern course next year. I have never really thought about it too much except in passing. (There just not too many caverns up here)

My question to you 'cavers' is - "What is there about cavern/cave diving that fasinates you so much to do this kind of diving?"

If you have to ask, it's probably not for you.

If you get started, it becomes addictive.

Not saying it is for me.

As there are few (if any)opportunities to do it up here - I don't know of any cave divers -- so I'm asking you guys to tell me about this passion of you yours.

I don't know if it will interest me, yet I'm wondering if the skills learned will help at all when I'm exploring wrecks.

Hi Diving Gal Here is how I benefited from Cave training.

About 10 Years ago our local dive club the now defunct Dolfin Divers had a crusty local diver by the name of John Reekie ( yes the guy mentioned in the Last Dive) come in and show us some Video of cave diving in Florida as well as some early stuff on the empress of Ireland.

This was well before it was the "in thing to do" . There was no discovery channel and the Internet didn't exist so none of us had ever seen anything like this before so we were absolutely stunned and amazed.

A couple of my buddies went to Florida shortly there after and took their Cavern and Intro course From Pete Butt and Dustin Clesy at Steamboat Dive Inn.

When they got back we heard all about it and soon saw a big improvement in how they dove. ( read envy here)

We would all be amazed at how they could swim along the bottom just barely above it and not even disturb a leaf or dab of clay. A few people said they were crazy and dangerous but most of us just saw the skills they had acquired.

Later that year I took the trip down and signed up for a Cavern course with Dustin as I wasn't quite sure about going in any farther than where I could see light.

The class was a major eye opener for me as I had my mind opened to how to dive safely in an overhead environment and I began to think about diving in a diferent way. The image of the sign in Devils Eye cave which said - STOP PREVENT YOUR DEATH - is a very powerfull memory for me to this day.

At the end of the two days I recieved my Cavern card and I was quite proud of myself, butvery dissapointed that I had to leave. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to continue on with Intro to Cave but we had other places still to Visit ( Damned stupid Mouse).

That summer my diving improved greatly with the cavern training and I soon went back and finished my Intro to cave where I got more training. ( by the way this was still with a Jacket BC, multiple trim weights and a Y-valved 95).

Again I saw improvements with my diving as well as my thought processes and dive planning. I now planned every dive as if I had 30 ft of rock over my head and this helped me continue to evolve my skills and comfort level.

5 years ago I finally went and finished my apprentice and full cave with Shelley and John Orlowski from Aquaspeleo. I finally had all the gear to do it properly (although in retrospect, I think opening a dive shop was an expensive way to do it).

As you can see from my little story you can go about doing it in steps and bring the new skills to play gradually as you continue to dive. Cavern may be all you want to do or you may choose to do more. Notice the words YOU and MAY CHOOSE, never take a course because someone else wants you to.

In my case it was mostly a scheduling issue but the time spent in between each module certainly gave me lots of time to practice and for me it worked out very well. I tell my students not to be in a rush as that hole in the ground isn't going anywhere.

This winter we will once again be taking a small invite only type group down to Florida to do cavern and Intro to cave courses with a local Florida instructor ( they dive it every day so they are the best). When they come back they generally have improved the way they dive substatially.

Some of these skills include:

- Buoyancy control and trim
- Positon relative to objects.
- Dealing with current.
- Proper planning and gas management
- Use of reals
- Problem solving while underwater.
-Personal equipment configuration ( you notice I do not use the word DIR)
-Touch contact and underwater communication.
- Emergency drills.
- and more which others can certainly add....

This is what I experianced and gained from it and others have there own reasons for taking cave training. As long as they are doing it for the right reasons ( ie becoming a better diver) and not just bragging rights it is a great specialty you wll benefit from the rest of your diving days. :)

Hope this wasn't too long...

... When they got back we heard all about it and soon saw a big improvement in how they dove.

Some of these skills include:
  • Buoyancy control and trim
  • Positon relative to objects.
  • Dealing with current.
  • Proper planning and gas management
  • Use of reals
  • Problem solving while underwater.
  • Personal equipment configuration ( you notice I do not use the word DIR)
  • Touch contact and underwater communication.
  • Emergency drills.
  • and more which others can certainly add....

This is what I was thinking. No I'm still not that interested in diving cavern/caves, but those skills.... those I wouldn't say no to.

Thanks Gadget.

Gadget:
Thank you for the excellent post. You seem like someone I would like to dive with. I hope someday you can hook up with one of our trips.
Thanks again.
:gorgeous:

Yours was a fabulously informative post. It's info like yours that make this board so great.

A few years ago, long before I had thought seriously about scuba, I saw an IMAX film about cave diving. I left thinking "that was really cool, but those people are NUTS - I can't imagine doing that!" Well, I have a life-long committment to not using the word never - and its a good thing. Now that I've discovered the fantastic world of scuba - I no longer think cave divers are crazy. I'm still not sure it's for me, but it doesn't scare the poop out of me anymore!

Thanks for the great info!

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

I saw the movie "Amazing Caves" also. Great movie. That is NOT what we will be doing.
We will be just learning about the caverns. Quite a bit different then full cave diving. This will be a very beginning stage class explaining the caverns. And diving the caverns. Not the caves. We will not be penetrating caves!
But of course not everyone will be comfortable with caverns. So this is not for everyone. Once we narrow down an instructor he will explain it all much better then I can. I just do the foofy stuff.
Sass glad you're never saying never anymore!

I totally want to see Amazing Caves!!!! I can't wait to see Wes's new one about the Ice caves! Who-Ho!!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. My friends ask me this all of the time. "Why do you want to cave dive? What is so fascinating about it?" Here is what I tell them. (keep in mind that I am a new cave diver)

Imagine being able to go someplace where only a handful of people on earth will ever see. A place where you can spend all day looking at fossils in the rock, or admiring the way the rock was formed by millions of gallons of water a day pouring over it. Imagine the awe that inspires millions to gaze at the Grand Canyon. Now take that canyon and flood it!

Personally, I love cave diving because I am absolutely fascinated by all of the formations that you see. The scenery underwater is breathtaking. I enjoy looking at every square inch of rock and fossil. I can spend 45 minutes on a dive, and only get a 100 fott penetration because I just float around staring at everything.

Cave diving is the reason that I started Scuba.

As far as the benefits of taking a class, like said above, it improves your skills and confidence ten fold. Watch a seasoned cave diver, and you will literally be in awe of their trim and bouyancy, even in high currents.

Cave diving is not for everyone, but once you take a cavern course, the bug is ready to bite you. Watch out!

P.S. I still think cave divers are nuts! LOL!

I saw Amazing Caves in Boston... the cave diving video at the end of the DIR III video is much better :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom