Do Lobsters Feel Pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Not according to an article I just read in The Week

It reads:

Lobster lovers can crack open those claws without guilt. Despite all their thrashing around in the cooking pot, it's highly unlikely that lobsters and other crustaceans feel pain, says a Norwegian government study. Scientists at the University of Oslo examined the pain capacities of crustaceans and other invertebrates and found that their primitive nervous systems appeared incapable of registering pain. the death throes of the lobster are probably an instinctive "escape mechanism," nota conscious reaction to pain, researchers tell the Associated Press. Animal activists have long claimed that it's agonizing for lobsters to be dropped into boiling water and cooked to death. Buth the Norwegian study supports previous findings that lobsters lack the brain capacity to process pain. "It's a semantic thing," says biologist Mike Loughlin. "No brain, no pain."

yeah, i read that article... posted it on here somewhere

i think it makes sense

I wish we could ask the lobsters what they think about the report....

Bob C.

It does help to get them drunk first.

Bob C:
I wish we could ask the lobsters what they think about the report....

it is the impossibility of this enterprise that makes the report credible.

in an alternative universe:

REPORTER: Mr. Lobster, how do you feel about the report?

LOBSTER: Rather insensitive, if you ask me. It would hurt my feelings, if I had any,
that we are called "brainless." Just because we are about as bright as worms
doesn't mean that we are dumb. Also, given the lack of a central nervous systems,
while I can't feel emotions or pain, I am aware that my feelings should be hurt that
you are trying to cook and eat me.

REPORTER: Do you object to lobsters being cooked and eaten?

LOBSTER: Like, duh...

Good man on the street interview. I could almost hear their northeastern accents.

The same they said about fish many years back... now fish are 'capable of experiencing pain'. Go figure.

Well, poor suckers... I'm going to eat 'em anyway... I'm sure the bullet hurts the cow though and I love hamburgers...

Most people don't eat lobster brains anyhow. Of course finding it may prove a to be quite the task.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom