Kadavu-Fiji Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkmasterbc

Contributor
Reaction score
Just returned from 3 months in Kadavu
Highly recommended place to dive, there is a spot where mantas are pretty much guarenteed and they loop in the plankton pockets inches from your face.
On one dive we saw a total of 9 mantas.
There are a few operations on the island Matava resort and Papageno are the 2 I would pick from. There is another resort called Dive Kadavu which I would stay away from, tanks out of hydro, poorly maintained gear and expensive.

I'm planning a trip to Fiji; trying to decide if Kadavu is the right place to go... We'll be traveling with small children (ages 2-4) and some non-diving friends.

What's the availability of non-diving activities?

Do you know anything about Waisalima or Tiliva resorts? (I've heard similar things that Dive Kadavu is not the place to be).

I've heard it's possible to surf at the Astrolabe Reef. Know anything about it?

How difficult is it to get around the island? Like to see a waterfall, visit a village, go to a store, etc?

How are the beaches for snorkling and playing with kids?

How's the weather in April-May?

The image I've got of Kadavu is an undeveloped island, only recently with roads. It sounds like the Astrolabe diving is better than what's available on Taveuni. But it seems like there's less to do topside, and it's probably hard to get around, especially with toddlers.

Thanks.

There are no roads on the island, the only place that has vehicles is in Vunisea which is where the airport is. All transport too and from resorts takes place by boat, Waiselima is about 1 hour+ from the airport. Dive Kadavu is about 15 min. There was lots to do topside but everything comes with a cost. There were waterfall hikes, mountain bike tours, kyaking, and birdwatching. If you want to dive the astrolabe, do not go with dive kadavu, they do not dive that part of the reef. Matava is on the side of the island where the astrolabe reef is located, papangeo is not and waiselima is on the NW tip quite secluded. Ther is also a surf resort on the island called nagenia (spelling is way off sorry) where you can surf a really nice reef break if the weather co-operates. As for non divers...I would suggest that they get certified as Kadavu has some of the best diving I've ever done. The minor astrolabe reef (where the manta rays chill) is so pristine and full of hard corals it is hard to even imagine, and there are some walls of soft coral there the size of city blocks.
The waterfall treks are usually accessed by boat with a local guide and you must walk through a traditional fijian village to get to the waterfall. Visiting a village is a must as the fijian people are some of the nicest in the world, very welcoming and accepting. There is only stores in Vunisea (where the airport is) there is no other place to buy food, all of the resorts have all their food and supplies brought in by boat which comes circa once a week. Sone of the beaches are nice, but as for snorkelling the area has been really fished out and you will be hard pressed to find lots of fish near the shore, on the other hand it is possible to go out to the reef and snorkel there which would almost be as good as diving it.
The weather is pretty much the same year round, some say there is a rainy season and a dry season but it dosen't really matter, same in all tropical places, sometimes it raines for 10 minutes then the sun comes out...sometimes it raines for days...and sometimes it is sunny for a month at a time.
Hope the info helps...

maddmike:
I'm planning a trip to Fiji; trying to decide if Kadavu is the right place to go... We'll be traveling with small children (ages 2-4) and some non-diving friends.

What's the availability of non-diving activities?

Do you know anything about Waisalima or Tiliva resorts? (I've heard similar things that Dive Kadavu is not the place to be).

I've heard it's possible to surf at the Astrolabe Reef. Know anything about it?

How difficult is it to get around the island? Like to see a waterfall, visit a village, go to a store, etc?

How are the beaches for snorkling and playing with kids?

How's the weather in April-May?

The image I've got of Kadavu is an undeveloped island, only recently with roads. It sounds like the Astrolabe diving is better than what's available on Taveuni. But it seems like there's less to do topside, and it's probably hard to get around, especially with toddlers.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom