Question - Mares Nemo Vs. Oceanic Atom 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grappelli

Registered
Reaction score
Question - Mares Nemo Vs. Oceanic Atom 1.0

I am looking at buying one of these watch computers and need some feedback to help me decide. As a dive instructor in the caribean I do a lot of dives but don't want something on over the wetsuit as it's a pain everytime I put it on or off. (Totally hate not being able to strip off the suit easily at the end of the dive for a quick pee!)

From my point of view there are a few advantages and disadvantages to both... all comments on this welcome:

Mares Nemo
Pros:
More conservative algoritm, including RGBM Algorithm (**)
Cheaper
Cons:
Cannot change battery myself (No service centers in the carribean)
Questions about display readability of the smaller icons and info

Oceanic Atom !.0
Pros:
Display looks very readable
Battery changable
Usb included
Like the look and the fun 3 gas (feature although I'll probably never use it)
Cons:
Have read comments about its aggresive algorithm. **
battery life

I need something that won't need returning to the US all the time for fix/servicing but would much prefer a bubble reduction mode.

Suggestions?

Grappelli:
Mares Nemo
Pros:
More conservative algoritm, including RGBM Algorithm (**)
Cheaper
Cons:
Cannot change battery myself (No service centers in the carribean)
Questions about display readability of the smaller icons and info

Oceanic Atom !.0
Pros:
Display looks very readable
Battery changable
Usb included
Like the look and the fun 3 gas (feature although I'll probably never use it)
Cons:
Have read comments about its aggresive algorithm. **
battery life

Have only used the Nemo once—the display is indeed small and somewhat hard to read, as well as very prone to scratches.

I’ve been using an Atom for a while. You can adjust the “aggressive algorithm” to be less aggressive/more conservative. My Atom originally came with a Vartek battery which had a very short life (I was also downloading a lot). After changing the battery to a Toshiba (or a Sony as others I know have), the short-life issue is gone. The battery is very easy to change and is cheap. The USB cable is indeed included but the software (OceanLog) is truly awful (but ironically quite easy to use) and has many quirks. Never had any problems with the transmitter.

Having said all this, the Atom can be a bit of an overkill—if you want watch-size and don’t care too much for wireless transmitters, there are other brands out there such as Suunto, Scubapro and Dive Rite (Seiko).

Simply put, I don't like the stinger/mosquito or the dive rite - also I bought a M1 RGBM from leisurepro and then returned it after it failed on the first dive, but they'll only give me a store credit as it us "used"......

Any nemo users out there want to comment on it?

thx

Grappelli:
Simply put, I don't like the stinger/mosquito or the dive rite - also I bought a M1 RGBM from leisurepro and then returned it after it failed on the first dive, but they'll only give me a store credit as it us "used"......

Any nemo users out there want to comment on it?

thx
I have the Atom, and the Mares M1 (not the RGBM). The Atom has never lost the signal, and neither have ever failed me once. The M1 is a bit large, and makes me feel like I'm wearing WonderWoman bracelets, though it's easy to read. The only concern I have with the Atom is the possibility of schearing off the trans. unit. I cannot tell you how many times I have narrowly stopped someone from picking the tank up by the trans unit by mistake.

For my personal diving, I use the Atom. If I'm working with a class, I screw the hose back in, as it need to be there when teaching so I can point at it, and wear the M1 on wrist.

If you got the money, I think the Atom is great, a little over kill for most, but great non the less.

I just dove with the atom for the first time. At first, I was not completely thrilled (nor was I disappointed). But after using if for a few dives, I like it. I don't like having to push the button to see the tank pressure, but I'm pretty much over that now. All in all, I like it. I found it easy enough to read (especially with the magnifier that comes with it). But my vision is, for now, pretty good.

I have an oceanic datatrans plus as my backup (on its way to be calibrated at factory) so I will have that instead of pushing buttons. Both use the same new xmitter.

I have used the Nemo. I had the Stainless steel one because it was less prone to scratching. The titanium's scratch easily. I loved the display, I thought it was very easy to use. Very easy to program. The only time the RGBM kicked in was when I was diving two 100 foot plus dives on air off a tanker in New York. Once I got into 1 minute of deco it made me do a 40 foot safety stop for 1 minute. My husband is looking at the Atom but as an instructor he is not crazy about pushing the button to see the tank pressure. Also concerning the Atom you can change your own battery.
I did not realize the Atom was so conservative. I can't wait to see it, we are getting the Oceanic line on our shop next week. I ordered the VT pro. I like the idea you can see your air time remaining at all times. It has an adjustable algorithm and user acknowledgement button. I like the acknowledgement button because you can just push it when your alarm starts to sound so it's not beeping like a car alarm in a mall parking lot. It also recalibrates to adjust to Salt water/freshwater and even adjusts automatically to altitude up to 14,000 feet. It's bigger than the Atom or Nemo but I think much easier to use. I am in for anything easy and convenient to use.

Grappelli:
Actually, the problem I have with it is that is is NOT conservative..... I'm regularly doing 4, maybe even 5 dives a day...

Grappelli,

You can set the Atom to be more conservative in the menu options. You might want to see if the manual is available for download and take a look at it.

I just purchased the Atom last night and made my first dives with it today. It's a really nice computer although I am still studying some of the gas switching features. I think with the user changeable battery and hoseless air integration this is really a winner. I have a Suunto Vyper as well which is a nice computer, but the air integration of the Atom is really cool. I like just being able to take a look at my wrist to see my status and tapping the button to see pressure is easier than hunting for your guagues. I use my Vyper as back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom