Wrist compass vs. Goodman light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

califdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
When using a compass mounted on my left wrist, I've learned to grasp my right wrist with the left hand, then have both arms out in front in order to follow a heading.

As I get ready to invest in a HID cannister light I'm wondering how this approach for compass use meshes with using a light on a goodman handle, on the left hand. With my hands positioned as above for following a compass heading, it seems the light would be pointing not in the direction of travel but rather way off to my right.

I occurs to me that if I switched the compass to my right wrist this would seem to point the left hand, and light, just about straight ahead if I were to grasp instead the left wrist with the right hand.

Moving the compass to the right hand would also address a separate issue I have read about which is the interference between a tall compass (like my SK-7) with the ballast of an 18w HID lighthead.

I am an open water diver and use my compass quite a bit -- any suggestions?

I use the left wrist mounting for my compass and I use an 18W HID light. I usually carry the light in my left hand. I've found that if the light head is in my left hand, the compass will try to point towards the light. So I switch the light to my right hand to use the compass. When I use the compass, I usually just reference it periodically, so I don't keep it in front of me like I would if I was using just the compass to keep on a specific heading.

I mostly dive wrecks and just keep my compass in my pocket; I find it annoying when the compass gets under the ballast. Some have suggested switching to the SK6.

Some things that help. put the compass farther up on your forearm. rotate it so it's more underneath your arm; so when using it you're looking at it in more of a natural position then when you twist your wrist to be level.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom