Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnylaw

Reaction score
My husband and I are recently certified and will go to Maui this
summer. Does anyone have any recommendations on which
dive charters to go for, or which one to avoid? Which dive site
is a must for first time diver in Maui? We would really like to
see big fish and turtles. Thanks a lot! :bounce:

I dive Maui about 4- 5 times a year. While I prefer the diving on the Big Island, Maui is more accessible and technically a bit easier.

I STRONGLY recommend Maui Dreams Dive Co (you can find them at www.mauidreamsdiveco.com ) they are located in Kihei and focus on Shore Dives -- they do excellent training if you want to pick up an advanced certification or a specialty. They do a nice job with guided dives and will go out with a single diver. Their prices are very reasonable. You can also rent gear, get tanks, and just chat about diving with them. Ask for the internet special and you can do a guided night dive with Teri (she's done hundreds of night dives) for $40.

In terms of boat diving -- I have gone on several of Ed Robinson's charters... for the advanced diver the three tank adventure is a nice one... really makes a day out of diving. The Lanai trip can be a long rough crossing and if visibility is down it loses some of it's appeal. In my opinion, Ed Robinson does a good job of smoothly handling guided dives... usually two groups of 6 divers with a dive master for each group... they do not strongly enforce buddies... so you can stay as long as your air or nitrogen level holds out. Having said that, I would recommend them more for experienced divers... If a newbie diver wants to use Ed Robinsons I would recommend that they choose their 'premier' dives which offer a 4 to 1 ratio. In my opinion, the 6 to 1 ratio does not offer enough support for a new diver.

On Thursday nights, Ed Robinsons does a really classy 2 tank twighlight and night dive... very nice.

Mike Severns is also a first class operation -- has probably the BEST marine life briefings going (though some people complain that they may be too long)

I have heard that ProDiver is also meticulous -- though I have yet to try them.

I have also dived with a small shop called B & B. They are pretty basic, but get the job done (guided boat dives) (I have heard a few complaints about their instruction). Their price is usually a bit more competitive, and they have the advantage (?) of leaving a bit earlier than the others, and thus, returning early still leaving plenty of the day for other activities.

I have NOT been impressed with Maui Dive Shop.

Have a great time.

Liz

Thanks ladycute1!

I am looking for boat dives, so it looks like Maui Dreams Dive Co
is out. I have heard that Ed Robinson's is more for advanced
diver, is that true? Thanks! :confused:

In my opinion, Ed Robinson's does not specialize in beginners -- their dives are lead by Dive Masters, generally NOT instructors -- However, if you take their premier dives.. which they offer (I think ) two days a week... they have a four diver to 1 guide ratio... and that means that that a new diver would get considerably more support and attention. That is likely to be fine for your needs.

Whatever you do, make sure that you go out on a relatively small boat... No more than 12 or 13 people with no more than six people per guide...

I hear that ProDiver is excellent and very careful about all the details (though I haven't dived with them)

I hear that you want to do boat dives, but I would also encourage you to try a morning of shore dives just to get your skills checked out and brushed up.

Whatever boat you choose, when you make the reservations, be clear that you are newbies, and might need additional support. Alternatively, you could go to Maui Dreams, and ask one of their instructors to book a boat trip and go with you to provide you a bit of additional instruction if that was what you felt you needed. -- Or you could ask any boat company if you could pay for a private guide.

Have fun.

Liz

Lahaina Divers is good, (although their boats are larger and some consider anything over a 6-pack to be a "cattle boat"). I had a great experience diving with them.

Find someone who will take you to the BACK side of Molokini Crater, not the front side where the jillions of snorkelers are. The back side is a bit of a drift wall dive and has sharks and other interesting stuff, whereas the front side (the crater area) is very shallow and boring.

Hey Big D --

I've got to disagree slightly --- the back side of Molokini is indeed fabulous... but jnylaw said that she and her hubby are newly certified...

The back side of Molokini can get a bit hairy... it is essentially bottomless, so you need to be good with bouyancy --- and some days the surge can be pretty great... so that your 15 foot safety stop can be a real challenge. And, it's usually done as a live drift dive which also can be a challenge to newbies.

On the other hand, I don't find the inside of Molokini to be the least bit boring... I have dived inside many times... and the last time I was there I watched over fifteen reef sharks playing and hunting...

Of course, all of this is my Opinion, YMMV.

Liz

I am newly certified also, and did two different trips with Lahaina Divers.

http://www.lahainadivers.com

One day was the backside of Molokini, the other to Lana'i. The crew was very helpful, and neither of the trips were crowded. The backside of Molokini was awesome, and I felt very comfortable as there was one instructor with four divers on both dives. Whoever you decide to go with look into a package deal as you will get the boat trips cheaper, and should also get tanks for shore dives.
I have to agree with Big D about the inside of the crater, it has more snorklers than fish. :) Not boring, just crowded!

You won't be able to help but have fun.
Dive safe, Bill

Hello all,

Thanks for the info. We might be diving just 1 day. Would
you recommend Molokini backside or Lana'i? We were
certified in Monterey, CA, so we didn't see too many big
fishes yet. I am hoping to see some sharks, manta ray ...

Thanks!!

:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom