Diving in Subic Bay Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi to all out there,

I'm new to scuba diving and also to this forum. I just got my Open Water License 3 weeks ago in Bohol (Philippines) during a vacation. So the only dives I have in the logbook are 4 dives!

Now I have a new opportunity to do some diving because I will visit Subic Bay in the PH for some business. I found a diving shop very close to the hotel where I'm going to stay but I can't find any contact information anywhere. The name of the shop is "Scuba Shack" and it's on the Freeport area of Subic Bay. Anybody have any information about this shop? The reason I would like to use this shop is that I will have a very tight schedule in Subic and most likely only time one afternoon. See how work is disturbing free time and hobbies!

Something about myself. I'm from Finland but living in Taiwan. Been here 3 1/2 years now. BTW, anybody from Taiwan here on the board? I'm married to my wonderful Filipina wife and we have a 3 year old boy.
My favorite saying:
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: HOLY S**T, WHAT A RIDE".
Well, I think this is ME.

Regards,
Leif

Hey there and welcome to the board! (and scuba... great thing to do in the water huh)

i can't help you directly with the subic question but i think the guys on the Philippine Paradise Divers forum would be more helpful than i...

on the other hand... great choice on a filipina wife! never met anyone who regretted marrying a filipina!

Jag

Dove subic in late 70's & early 80's Unreal is the only way to describe it ! I was in the navy and got to dive several wrecks sunk by japanese millions of pounds of high explosives laying on the bottom the cordite exposed and moving with the current.Whale sharks are commen saw at least 20 had touching encounters with 3 I do not know what militay presence is left in subic but try to dive the ammo dock area if it is not off limits.Be carful lot's of nasties of the toothed type no need to pay to do a shark dive !Subic deep is best Im sure the locals have raped the bay reefs away from militay areas in 90 ft or less.Be safe !

Leifintaiwan:
Hi to all out there,

Now I have a new opportunity to do some diving because I will visit Subic Bay in the PH for some business. I found a diving shop very close to the hotel where I'm going to stay but I can't find any contact information anywhere. The name of the shop is "Scuba Shack" and it's on the Freeport area of Subic Bay. Anybody have any information about this shop? The reason I would like to use this shop is that I will have a very tight schedule in Subic and most likely only time one afternoon. See how work is disturbing free time and hobbies!

Regards,
Leif

Leif,

Welcome to the board. I like your "style". Try going to this URL and scrolling down where you will find several links about diving in Subic Bay.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=85966&highlight=Subic

Rickg

Subic has changed so much since it became an economic zone. It’s now pretty modern. While there I recommend you check out Magellan’s Galleon Museum. It’s a fun restaurant right on the bay. It’s run by a SCUBA diver and has a great museum of artifacts pulled out of the P.I.. Cool ancient Galleon stuff. He’s also have good tips about diving.

A few miles north in the town of San Miguel you can find the Ilsas Capones. Used to be fine diving. Some wrecks there too.

shugar:
Hey there and welcome to the board! (and scuba... great thing to do in the water huh)

i can't help you directly with the subic question but i think the guys on the Philippine Paradise Divers forum would be more helpful than i...

on the other hand... great choice on a filipina wife! never met anyone who regretted marrying a filipina!

Jag

Then you haven't met me yet!

All bitterness about the Filipino ex-wife aside, Subic Bay is a great dive location if you like wrecks. It's where I certified OW and have returned several times (the ex is from Olongopo). Scuba shack is a great dive operation, low costs but very experienced DM's. Ask for Butch. Another dive operation was previously metioned is Vascoes. The owner is the real deal of treasure hunters! Check out their site at

http://www.master-dive.com/

Have fun and dive the USS New York!!!

octotat:
All bitterness about the Filipino ex-wife aside, Subic Bay is a great dive location if you like wrecks. It's where I certified OW and have returned several times (the ex is from Olongopo). Scuba shack is a great dive operation, low costs but very experienced DM's. Ask for Butch. Another dive operation was previously metioned is Vascoes. The owner is the real deal of treasure hunters! Check out their site at

http://www.master-dive.com/

Have fun and dive the USS New York!!!
Hmmmm and I wonder what her occupation was before you met her Hmmm... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom