NIKON 8400 good or bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewDiver123

Reaction score
I'm going to buy my first UW camera. The budget is around $1000 for both camera and housing. I like nikon 8400 which seems have widest angle, 24mm--85mm. Does anybody know the drawback of this camera? Or, any better choice at same level? Thanks a lot!

StevenB:
Is there a housing for it that fits your budget?

SB
The housing is $675, IKELITE. Coming in 2 weeks. Hope the camera will be a little cheaper at that time.

Your cost then will be closer to $1300-1400.

I am not familiar with the camera, but the specs are good. I do like Ike. The internal flash will be pretty inadaquate. You will probably want to also consider an external strobe at some point.

Not to dis the 8400 or Nikon, I think it would be a pretty cool etup, but you might want to check out the Oly 8080 if you are after megapixels. The Oly brand housing is a few hundred cheaper. A little closer to your budget.

SB

I can tell you that with your budget, I think you would be much better off going with the new Olympus 7070 (just released) and start with an Olympus or Ikelite housing. Later on, you can upgrade to a Light & motion housing if you really get into. There are major differences between the housings.

The Oly line of cameras has been the most successful camera (digicam) used underwater. They perform well in low light, the picture is sharp, you have a lot of control over the camera, and there are plenty of accessories available for all of the housings. There are also a lot of u/w shooters with the Oly line, so there are plenty of knowledgeable people to help you out. I have shooting with and teaching with the C-series line for 4 years (starting with the 3030) and I have never been disatisfied and either have any of my customers.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to help.

H2OPhotoPro:
I can tell you that with your budget, I think you would be much better off going with the new Olympus 7070 (just released) and start with an Olympus or Ikelite housing. Later on, you can upgrade to a Light & motion housing if you really get into. There are major differences between the housings.

The Oly line of cameras has been the most successful camera (digicam) used underwater. They perform well in low light, the picture is sharp, you have a lot of control over the camera, and there are plenty of accessories available for all of the housings. There are also a lot of u/w shooters with the Oly line, so there are plenty of knowledgeable people to help you out. I have shooting with and teaching with the C-series line for 4 years (starting with the 3030) and I have never been disatisfied and either have any of my customers.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks for this helpful info. I check the spec of C7070 and C8080. It looks like C8080 is better. And now, it has lower price. What is the main advantage of C7070?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom