Fin question please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trevinkorea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have recently purchased a new dry suit and need a new set of fins. Please help me to choose as I don't have time to wait for the suit to arrive before trying fins.

I prefer jet fins and own a pair of XL jets, XL stratos (similar to blades) and L reflex. I will never dive the reflex again.

My problem is that the XL jets will likely not fit and I don't have time to wait for the suit to select fins.

My foot is 11.5 inches long and I usually wear a size 11 shoe or a size 12 Nike.

I will be going with Bare Trek boots.

Would an XXL jet be too large for me? I've searched for about a month, nearly every day and not found the answer. My LDS won't answer my question either. Didn't buy the suit from them so they aren't overly helpful anymore.

A pair of Apollo Bio split fins have also been suggested by the shop selling me the suit. I have never used a bio fin and don't really like flutter kicks but if it is all that will work I'll try to get used to it.

I also prefer a heavy weight fin for trim reasons. I suffer from floaty feet and don't like ankle weights. So far I've really liked my jets and also my stratos but with ankle weights.

My question.

Would a SP Jet XXL size work for me or should I go with the bio fins?

Any information is very welcome.

"A pair of Apollo Bio split fins have also been suggested by the shop selling me the suit. I have never used a bio fin and don't really like flutter kicks but if it is all that will work I'll try to get used to it."

If you really like JetFins, I would say stick with them. I have a very old pair of JetFins and a more recent pair of Atomic split fins (the "Liquid Blue"), and I like them both a lot, but they are very different fins. I think the Bio fin is very similar to my Atomic fins, although the Liquid Blue variety is probably lighter than the Bio. In any case, there is no reason in the world to think that the Bio fin is the only fin that will work. The link that GRF88 provided shows the range of sizes available in JetFins, and I don't think there should be any problem finding the JetFins size that will work with your boots.

The Bio fins are certainly more expensive than the JetFins. For the same money, I think you could get the JetFins and replace the rubber straps with the spring straps that - I think - should make them marginally heavier. (I don't have those on my JetFins, so I really don't know. Somebody here who uses those straps should be able to answer that question, though.)

See http://www.livingseas.com.sg/X_Spring.html for a picture of spring straps

Yes. They will work. You will likely have a larger trek boot than your size 11 standard shoe so you can fit the extra dry suit sock material in the trek boot. In other words, one usually buys a size larger in dry suit boots than they wear in standard shoes. I use the xxl jets with my size 11 rock boots and the fit is a tiny big but fine. Your trek boot should probably be a size 12-13 so you will be using the xxl jet. The turtle may also work. If you like really tight fins then the turtle, or if you like a not so tight fit then go with the xxl jet and a medium or large spring strap. The above link to kidspots site will be more specific and answer your questions. Good work and info from you fellow SB members. Good luck!

Thank you for your responses.

I think I will go for the XXL's with spring straps but maybe I'll give the bio fins a try if I come accross anyone who'll let me try a pair.

Don't forget Turtles. Turtles are the defacto standard for those (like me) who are in between an XL Jet and an XXL Jet.

I'd suggest waiting until your suit has arrived and then finding the fins that will fit the boots. The chances that the fins will fit well are higher and you'll not be using the fins anyway until the DS has arrived.
I guess you don't want to have to replace your new fins because they didn't fit as well as you want them :wink:
FWIW, the XXL Jets have Humongous pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom