Split fins.... YES or NO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just depends on how you dive and what kind of traction you want in the water.

If you are a rototiller who can't stop moving without sinking or bobbing to the surface and you move through the water in a feet down bottom churning position then splits are just the ticket for leaving an open trench and a cloud of dust behind you.

MY OW instructor way back when said it best..."yer fins are broken!" when I showed up the first day with split fins. Didn't know what he was talking about til I went diving in current with him...now I have non-broken fins.
I have a pair of Blades II that I used on about 20 dives, then I won a pair of Volo Powers in a raffle, and use them exclusively now. Great propulsion with minimal effort, but they're pretty pricey.

Uncle Pug:
Just depends on how you dive and what kind of traction you want in the water.

If you are a rototiller who can't stop moving without sinking or bobbing to the surface and you move through the water in a feet down bottom churning position then splits are just the ticket for leaving an open trench and a cloud of dust behind you.

do I detect a hint of sarcasm there today Pug??

I think for once I am in Pug's train of thought.

I have not found a set of split fins yet that you can do a decent air conserving frog kick in. If you were born to be a rottotilling-30minute bottom time-sand storm, go split.

On the upside splits take less leg energy to get them moving. When I count fin kicks rottotilling a 100 yard course I am typically using twice as many kicks with Scubapro Jets than I am with my normal fins.

Try the ScubaPro Jets like said before .. Mares Avanti Quattro's are nice too

I have a pair of ScubaPro Jet Fins and Tusa Xpert Split Fins.

The Jet Fins are a little more responsive, and I feel I have a little more maneuverabilty with them.

My Tusa Split Fins give me more momentum with less effort.

I've found myself leaning toward the Jet Fins. They pack much easier; and with Spring Straps, they are extremely easy to put on and take off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom