Diving Back Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know if they close Back Beach the weekend of July 4th because of the bond fire.... I have a guy comming down to Rockport for that weekend and I figured that Back Beach would be a nice easy dive to start off with, but not if they close it that weekend...

Danny D:
Does anyone know if they close Back Beach the weekend of July 4th because of the bond fire.... I have a guy comming down to Rockport for that weekend and I figured that Back Beach would be a nice easy dive to start off with, but not if they close it that weekend...
Its definately open. I don't know about night diving since they light the fire after dark, but you should have no problem during the day. Of course the big problem on Cape Ann during that weekend is the crowds, and finding a place to park, which of course is always a challenge!

All I know about back beach is that it constantly has terrible vis. If you want to show your buddy a good time, I'd head over to Old Garden Beach where the conditions are pretty much always good and vis is usually excellent relative to the rest of Cape Ann.

Danny D:

Soggy:
head over to Old Garden Beach
Seconded. It's close to Back Beach, but IMHO offers much better diving. Especially if the advantage of metered parking is nixed by crowds.

Folly cove is a nioce dive if you dive the left hand wall :)

good viz .. and all kinds of cool stuff on the wall down to 80ft. :)
IMHO

I was planning on doing Back Beach just to get him used to our lovely New England (bad Viz) and then doing one of the other two. Either Folly or Old Garden. Maybe ill just skip Back Beach entirely and just go ahead with the other two. Now that I really think about it I'v done Back Beach to the point that I can dive it with my eyes closed and like you said that is usually how the conditions are similar to . Thanks for the suggestion fellas, Im gonna go with the other two plus I won't have to worry so much about running into 300 dive classes like you do at Back Beach if I go to the other places.

Back
Top Bottom