I made the move!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Cowboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,
I'm no longer a California guy, moved to Yuma, AZ last week. Although I'll be doing a lot of southern CA diving, I'm an AZ diver and looking for new dive sites & buddies. Once I get my new place in order I'll be searching out the local diving as well as heading over to San Diego. Change is always exciting for me and I'm excited about the new possibilities.

Welcome to AZ. From Yuma, your best diving options are San Diego for salt water. Otherwise you can head up to Lake Havasu or Lake Mead/Mohave. Hopefully you have a boat because the lakes don't offer much in the way of shore diving. Mead does have a scuba park with underwater attractions, but with the lake level down about 80' some of those are pretty shallow if not dry. They also have a few other coves near the park to do shore entries off of. Most of the wrecks and walls are only accessible by boat, though. Mead also claims to be one of the top 10 fresh water dive spots in the country. I haven't seen that list though. Mohave has one shore entry site near Katherine's Landing, but the rest are by boat. Viz ranges from 20-50', usually better in the winter/early spring. Phoenix also has some lakes to dive, but not much to see there. The best I've seen viz get there is 20'. That's unusual and only in the winter. Saguaro, which has some wrecks, only has viz at 5' or less and the wrecks are difficult to find. Let me know if you come across anything else. We're always looking for a place to dive.

Welcome fellow Yuman! Yuma is not that bad, so don't let people scare you. We are close to everything, Phoenix, diving in San Diego, Rocky Point is no far either and San Carlos is no too far away. Have fun and welcome to Yuma buddy!

Dive-aholic:
Welcome to AZ. From Yuma, your best diving options are San Diego for salt water. Otherwise you can head up to Lake Havasu or Lake Mead/Mohave. Hopefully you have a boat because the lakes don't offer much in the way of shore diving. Mead does have a scuba park with underwater attractions, but with the lake level down about 80' some of those are pretty shallow if not dry. They also have a few other coves near the park to do shore entries off of. Most of the wrecks and walls are only accessible by boat, though. Mead also claims to be one of the top 10 fresh water dive spots in the country. I haven't seen that list though. Mohave has one shore entry site near Katherine's Landing, but the rest are by boat. Viz ranges from 20-50', usually better in the winter/early spring. Phoenix also has some lakes to dive, but not much to see there. The best I've seen viz get there is 20'. That's unusual and only in the winter. Saguaro, which has some wrecks, only has viz at 5' or less and the wrecks are difficult to find. Let me know if you come across anything else. We're always looking for a place to dive.
Noticed you are an ICU-ER RN. I'm an ER/FP doctor. Just moved to Phoenix, although I'll be going to Kingman to finish a residency. If you ever need a dive buddy look me up. Anxious to meet some AZ divers.

tracydr:
Noticed you are an ICU-ER RN. I'm an ER/FP doctor. Just moved to Phoenix, although I'll be going to Kingman to finish a residency. If you ever need a dive buddy look me up. Anxious to meet some AZ divers.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been off the Board for a while diving, yes diving! Mainly the area lakes and Florida for the past week. Let me know when you get back to the Phoenix area. I will be up in the Mohave area last week of June. If you can get the time off and can stand the 60 degree water temp, let me know.

ok so i see a DR and ICU/ER nurse... How about another ER nurse here. We can swap stories....Lets dive... bubbles up

Where in AZ are you mermaid? I'm in Tucson, but always going somewhere else to dive. Where do you work?

Dive-aholic:
Where in AZ are you mermaid? I'm in Tucson, but always going somewhere else to dive. Where do you work?
I'm in phoenix, but I work in Mesa... Yea I know. Too bad I didn't know you eariler, there is a bunch of nurses from st joes going to Roatan in July.

Sounds like a fun time. Do you ever dive the local lakes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom