Utila - Rubi's or Bayview? / Guanaja - Bo Bush's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sawdust

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are considering a trip to Utila and we may want to do an 'a la carte' trip rather than one of the packages. I have read a very little but about Rubi's Inn and Bay View Hotel. Does anyone have any feedback or experiences to share? We are not looking for anything very fancy, a decent clean room and the option to pay extra for a private bathroom.

Another option is staying at Bo Bush's Island House on Guanaja. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

sawdust:
My girlfriend and I are considering a trip to Utila and we may want to do an 'a la carte' trip rather than one of the packages. I have read a very little but about Rubi's Inn and Bay View Hotel. Does anyone have any feedback or experiences to share? We are not looking for anything very fancy, a decent clean room and the option to pay extra for a private bathroom.

Another option is staying at Bo Bush's Island House on Guanaja. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Sawdust,

I'M HERE RIGHT NOW....WILL BE HERE UNTIL THE 16TH. WE'RE LIVING IN A 2 BR APT. i;VE STAYED AT BOTH RUBY'S AND TRUDY'S...NOT BAYVIEW THEY ARE COMPARABVLE.

wHEN ARE YOU PLANNING ON GOING AND HOW LONG ARE YOU GONNA STAY? YOU CAN STAY AT ANY OF THOSE PLACES ON A NIGHT TO NIGHT BASIS AND LOOK AROUND SOME MORE IF YOU CHOOSE. WE DID TWO DIVES THIS MORNING ONE ON THE HALIBURTON WRECK TO 101' AND THEN ANOTHER LONG DIVE AT 35' FOR A LITTLE OVER AN HOUR. WE'LL BE OUT OF THE WATER AGAIN TOMORROW.

REGARDS,

Cudabait,

Thanks for the reply, I hope the trip is going well. We'll be there April 27th - May 6th. I am starting to feel that your suggestion of arriving and then shopping around is a safe way to go. I actually prefer that style of trip and I am getting comfortable that we won't have a problem finding a bed to sleep in. We're hoping to stay close to the water so I am looking at Rubi's, Margaritaville, and Bay View, and Seaside as options. Happy Diving!

I used to work in Utila and often sent clients to stay at the BayView...never heard a bad word about it. If you can get one of the end rooms right by the water it'll be great. Very friendly owners, quiet and very safe.
Have a great trip.

My wife & I will be in Utila in May and will be diving 3 - 4 dives a day. Do most divers wear full 3 mil suits or is a shorty adequate? I realize this varies depending on the diver - but any feedback would be helpfull.

Steve

Hi Steve,

A 3mm shorty is normally sufficient but again if you chill quick, especially 3-4 dives a day, go for a full length.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, we've decided to arrive in Utila and a place once we get there. A quick question about flights to Utila... Do most people make reservations ahead of time? I have the option of arriving in TGU at 12:15 or San Pedro at 1:15 and want to make sure I can get to Utila at the same time. I've found inconsistent info from Islena and Sosa; do you recommend that I fly into either place?

Thanks...

Go Pro, Thanks for the info. I've dove Cayman & Cozumel with just a dive skin at ~ same time of year but those were 2 (sometimes 3) dive days & have never dove Bay Islands. Sounds like a shorty will do.

Sawdust, We booked our travel to Utila in advance - from San Pedro Sula (via La Ceiba) but our travel agent indicated that 2 days advance was all that was needed to book flights. That said, after we reserved our dive package, but before we paid, the flights from mainland to Utila inceased about $20.00 per ticket so that's something to consider. Have fun in Utila - we will be following you down there in May.

Hi Sawdust,
I am leaving for Utila the 31st of march and I am arriving in SAP at 13h55. I wrote to Sosa airlines and they told me that they wait for you before leaving (the departure from SAP to Utila is at 14h I think). You can write to them and reserve in advance (aerososa@psinet.hn). Here is what they told me:

yes you can take our flight from SAP-LCE at 2;00 p.m. , you arrive with AA or CO? we always will be waiting for these passengers. the price is : US$ 79.52 (round trip) and US$43.68 (one way) per person. Both prices include sales taxes. you can pay at the airport in our counter with credit card or cash.

As for the place to stay, I can give you feedback once I come back from there. I was thinking also, Hotel Rose, Rubi's or Bayview. I'll decide once I get there. PM me in mid-april and I'll even send you pictures if you want!

Bo's Island House is lovely. Bo is great and his wife Marta and her mother cook great food too! Look at bosislandhouse.com - - - the over the water bar is very fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom