Roatan: Subway Watersports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone used this dive op?

OE2X:

Of the "day dive ops" to select from on Roatan, SubWay Watersports are far and away the best choice.

The boats are good, safe, clean and fast. The DM's are long term and reliable.

The DM's and staff are good at quickly alalyzing the experience and skill levels of participants and will selecting appropriate dive sites.

They know where the little critters are (which is what one goes to Roatan to find!)

I heartily recommend them.

We dove with SubWay (and with Native Sons in West End) last August. Gillian and her staff are top notch, very professional. Diving with them is a lot more expensive than diving with the West End dive ops -- and we thought Native Sons was a good op, too -- but we didn't regret using SubWay for dives to Mary's Place, Calvin's Crack, the Prince Albert, and other sites on that side of the island.

pigletfish:
We dove with SubWay (and with Native Sons in West End) last August. Gillian and her staff are top notch, very professional. Diving with them is a lot more expensive than diving with the West End dive ops -- and we thought Native Sons was a good op, too -- but we didn't regret using SubWay for dives to Mary's Place, Calvin's Crack, the Prince Albert, and other sites on that side of the island.
When you say a lot more expensive what do you mean? I'm thinking of renting a place for a month. I could see myself doing 10 dives a week there.

Native Sons was about $15 per dive, SubWay about twice that. Already the precise numbers have gone a bit fuzzy in our memories, but we e-mailed both in advance and received exact quotes from them (which unfortunately my husband has since deleted). Cheers!

After a week in Utila this May we will stop by Roatan for a few days. Haven't booked hotel or dive op yet. If we stay in West end without a car, can we still dive with Subway? (shuttle, taxi, etc.) Roatanman, you seem to prefer them as a "day dive op" and the dive sites on South side appear to be very good. Otherwise we would probably choose Native Sons - based on recomendations of SB members. Will only get 2 days of diving but we wanted to at least get a "taste" of Roatan while in the Bay Islands.

Subway shows rates of

1 – 4 dives $ 24 per dive/person
5 – 9 dives $ 22 per dive/person
10 or more dives $ 20 per dive/person

see their 4 boats and them at: http://www.subwaywatersports.com/Diving/diving.htm

You can get a taxi there, no problem.

Native Sons has 1 dive boat and is at http://www.roatanisland.net/native.htm

Single Dive $20 to 30
Dives 5 or more $ 20 per dive
Dives 10 or more $15 per dive

And yes. Gillian at SubWay is a hoot.... for a Brit :crafty:

OE2X:

We used Subway Watersports in late Jan this year. We had 2 dives with them. One was great, one was not good at all. The first dive was Mary's Place. We had a new and young DM and he was terrible, didn't point anything. When we came out of the cavern, he didn't know what to do with us, so he just took us all up. I had 1200 psi when I surfaced! It was a 22 minute dive! The other divers had 1200, 1100, and 800 psi remianing and no one knew why he brought us up. We were not happy at all.
Second dive was a wreck dive and we had Marc as our DM. He was fantastic and it made the dive. We had a great second dive with Marc. I would use Subway again but I would make sure Marc is the DM for both dives.
Subway was great with email communication before we got there. Also, they were great with service. My wife had a problem with her stage 1 at the end of our first dive. They took it into the shop and fixed it right up during the SI.

Went on a cruise from Houston last fall. Did two dives with Subway. Great service. Vis was lousy but not their fault. I was the only paying customer. My wife went along to snorkel. A DM in training went along with DM on the dive so there were 3 of us. Would highly recommend them.

Yeah, DM's can make the difference between a good & great dive. Question is does Subway, or other Roatan dive ops give divers flexibility in dive planning?

I like the benefit of having an experienced DM, knowledgable with the site, point out features you mght miss otherwise. However, I prefer to have the freedom to finish my dive within set parameters. DM's should send "heavy breathing" divers back to the boat while allowing the rest of us to finish our dives - as long as we get back by the specified time.

Back
Top Bottom