Help with a Wreck Dive Id

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewB

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the Id on a Wreck Dive. I was resently talking to a friend and he had told me of a ship that was laying at an angle so that one end was at 30 feet and the other was at around 130ish feet so you could dive the length of the ship.

I am new to diving but would like to learn more if anyone had any info I would apreciate it. I know its not much info but anything will help, thanks.

"What one can imagine, another can create"

Welcome aboard...
Could you be a little more specific?? Like the hemisphere this wreck's in, perhaps?
Rick

At a guess... the President Coolidge in Vanuatu. A luxury liner converted to a troop ship that went down in WWII - that's about all the details I can remember without starting to make stuff up. I think it was either torpedoed or hit a mine, and they managed to get everyone off before it sunk on the edge of a reef, and it's now one of the largest wrecks in the world accessible from a shore dive. I think only a handful (4?) of people died during the incident. There was a famous statue of a lady inside the wreck hanging on a wall that was the must see thing on the wreck, you often see it in adverts for diving in Vanuatu. I think there is a sister wreck somewhere, but not sure if it's diveable. The change in depth is what makes me think you might be talking about this wreck, a guy who works in my company dived it a number of times a few years ago.

Originally posted by bengiddins
At a guess... the President Coolidge in Vanuatu.

Or the Forest City in Georgian Bay, Lake Huron. Deep end is 150' not 130' there though.

Tom

It could be 130 feet he was pretty scetchy with the details, I want to say it was off the american coast around north carolina, or Virgina perhaps.

And weather its the right one or not the President Coolidge does sound like a really interesting dive.

Thanks for any assistance.

"What one can imagine, another can create"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom