DIR Compliant Regulator Setup ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dshuman

New
Reaction score
I am in the process of migrating my gear to a DIR setup. I currently use a Mares Abyss 1st and 2nd stage and am looking for advice for a backup reg to replace the Octo+ on my soon to be ebayed Zeagle.

Having read the DIR-F book I realize that the backup reg should be less prone to freeflow but should still be of similar high caliber to your primary.

Do most of you use the same brand regs for both the primary and backup 2nd stage? Why?

I still have a bright yellow Octo. Is this a bad choice because its color is misleading since it would not be the reg handed over in an OOA situation?

Thanks for the input,
Dave

I am currently using an ATX50 as my backup reg. It's black so it doesn't get confused, but your buddy should be aware of your configuration before you ever get in the water anyway. The atx50 is fully adjustable, so I can just tune it down, and if I end up breathing it, I can immediately tune it up. I use teh same for a primary. Worth the extra few bucks as far as I'm concerned.

Sean

dshuman:
I am in the process of migrating my gear to a DIR setup. I currently use a Mares Abyss 1st and 2nd stage and am looking for advice for a backup reg to replace the Octo+ on my soon to be ebayed Zeagle.

Having read the DIR-F book I realize that the backup reg should be less prone to freeflow but should still be of similar high caliber to your primary.

Do most of you use the same brand regs for both the primary and backup 2nd stage? Why?

I still have a bright yellow Octo. Is this a bad choice because its color is misleading since it would not be the reg handed over in an OOA situation?

Thanks for the input,
Dave

Let me preface this with, I am not up to speed on exactly what the GUE guys are teaching in regards to this. However, the practice before GUE started was to use a very "crappy" basic non-adjustable downstream second stage. Note that this was used primarily with Helium and just about anything breathes great with helium. The primary benefit was that it stopped freeflows when scootering into a flow that high performance regs tend to have. For an open water reg, some of my regs still use the crappy reg, others use the same Apex TX50 or equivalent second stage. Note, while I would not recommend this with a G250 second stage since they are a little too prone to freeflow, I have seen several of the upper GUE guys using a G250 back-up reg in the past.

I use a TX40 for both primary and backup. I bought the other TX40 as an 'octo' (since it was cheaper) so it has a yellow faceplate. I tossed that one on the primary hose and keep that one in my mouth, whereas the darker (actually dark blue.. go figure) one is around my neck. I've serviced both regs since I bought them and I've made the primary a little easier to breathe than the backup.

I got the same reg as a backup for the same reason I got it as a primary.. reputation for simple, bulletproof, reliable operation, good breathing performance, and resistance to freeflow. Since I service my regs now, I'm glad I did, because that's one less spare parts kit to deal with. I just bought a new Apeks first stage that I'm going to use with doubles.. I plan on keeping all of my regs as identical as possible, but future second stages will probably be ATX's.

I'm using a Legend LX Supreme as a primary and a Titan LX Glacia as a secondary. I think the Legend would be a disaster as a secondary because it's too sensitive so that's why I bought a Titan for a backup. The right tool for the right job. So far I haven't had any issues with the Titan freeflowing but I'm not scootering into currents with it either. I think if you were you'd have to detune it.

Niether one of my regs is DIR compliant, BTW, because you can't take the 2nd stages part under water.

R..

Singles setup ... Apeks ATX50 as primary and Aqualung Titan LX as a backup

Doubles setup ... Apeks ATX200 as primary and Apeks TX50 as a backup

The backups are adjusted so the cracking pressure's a bit tighter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diver0001:
I'm using a Legend LX Supreme as a primary and a Titan LX Glacia as a secondary. I think the Legend would be a disaster as a secondary because it's too sensitive so that's why I bought a Titan for a backup.

I have two LX Supremes. I have used them even when on a scooter (though I unfortunately don't own one . . . yet). Tuning down the backup usually does the trick to keep from free flowing. If current is really strong, you may have to change the angle of the second stage somewhat to keep the current from depressing the purge.

You asked about using the same brand of regulator and why. There's also an advantage in using the same or very similar regs in that you can interchange units in case of maintenance issues. I was using Scubapro regs on my doubles and Apeks regs on stage and deco bottles. As much as I liked the Apeks regs, I recently sold them and switched to all Scubapro. So now if I have a problem with a first stage on my doubles, it is an easy switch to grab a stage reg and and get on with the diving. This actually happened to my buddy during our cave class. Doing our pre-dive bubble check, one of his first stages was leaking. So we got out, took the hoses off, grabbed an extra identical first stage from his spares, and we were back in the water in ten minutes.

Also, Diver0001, you mentioned that your regs are not DIR compliant since you can't take them apart underwater. It is probably worth mentioning that this idea is more for the extreme side...like WKPP exploratory stuff. I have not heard a GUE instructor teach students to take a 2nd stage apart underwater, or tell them that they needed to get different regs for that reason. Some of those little extra "tweaks" are not necessarily part of the core teaching curriculum. :wink: But if you were told that in a class, please share some info so we can all benefit.

http://www.gue.com/equipment/regulators.shtml

That said, taking apart regs underwater is quite extreme. I keep my second stages on there hoses tight. If you NEED to take a reg off, you need a wrench underwater anyway.

I use a TX50 primary and a TX50 backup. THe backup is tuned the same as the primary, then the ventury lever is closed. Never had a problem with freeflows, when I use it, just flip the ventury and I have a great breathing backup.

JimC:
http://www.gue.com/equipment/regulators.shtml

That said, taking apart regs underwater is quite extreme. I keep my second stages on there hoses tight. If you NEED to take a reg off, you need a wrench underwater anyway.

I use a TX50 primary and a TX50 backup. THe backup is tuned the same as the primary, then the ventury lever is closed. Never had a problem with freeflows, when I use it, just flip the ventury and I have a great breathing backup.

No you don't, you keep second stages hand tight so they can be switched in a pinch. This is not necessary on an open water reg and becomes a pain since you tend to blow o-rings if you aren't diligent about making sure they are still hand tight before you pressurize the reg.

Being able to "take apart" a second stage, just means having a screw off cover so you can get to the diaphragm and clean out the inside of the reg for debris, puke, etc. and continue the dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom