Palau & Yap... Just Got Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebuddy68

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All! Just got back from Palau & Yap. 2nd visit. First was in 2000. Stayed at Traders Ridge in Yap - excellent resort. Nicer than Manta Ray. Dove the first day with Yap Divers... they were terrible. I told the DM my GF was a new diver and he just jumps in the water and never looked back. He had no idea where we were. I would never dive with them again. Dove the 2nd day with Traders Ridge and they were much better. Anyway, diving and mantas were great. Love the island and the people.

Then spent a week on the Palau Aggressor. What can I say? Very nice boat, great crew and great diving. 2 of the DMs have been with them for 10 years and really know the reefs. Diving was exciting as always. Coral is still bleached in some spots above 40 feet.

Overall a great trip.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Who was your DM with Yap Divers.....we had a good (not great) experience with them last year.

Otter:
Who was your DM with Yap Divers.....we had a good (not great) experience with them last year.

Freddie was the DM. The whole experience was bad. First, they did not even look at my padi card. Then ignored us on the dive. In fact, we surfaced about 20 minutes before he did and he had no idea where we were. In the afternoon, they took us to the closest reef on an outgoing tide (crap vis) because they didn't want to drive further.

BUT... it was still a great trip.

divebuddy, i'm on the aggressor on march 27th and would be interested in the pair of DM's names that have been there 10+ years so that i can confirm with aggressor that they will indeed be working that week. Always nice to dive with someone who knows the area that well. Am getting very excited.

lee3:
divebuddy, i'm on the aggressor on march 27th and would be interested in the pair of DM's names that have been there 10+ years so that i can confirm with aggressor that they will indeed be working that week. Always nice to dive with someone who knows the area that well. Am getting very excited.

The Aggressor DMs are Ike and Hector. They know every inch of the reef & are great to dive with because they can find the little stuff. Have fun & tell them Gary & Jessica say hello.

p.s. I sending you a PM with Captain Mike'e email. Might take him a week or so to repsond because he only gets emails over the weekend.

Divebuddy68;

Thanks for the info.
I will be visiting Yap and Palau in May. 5 days in Yap and 10 days in Palau. We will be staing at Trader's Ridge and diving with Werner Lau (which I believe is what you are referring to as the Trader's Ridge Dive Shop). My wife will try their resort course - Are they personable enough for her to get convinced to start diving? THis is make-it-or-berak-it case. I was trying to convince her to dive for years and finally she agreed to try it at Trader's Ridge. Will she enjoy the surrounding dives as a novice? I heard they are pretty shallow and easy, which would be great for her. WHo do you recommend for a DM from Werner Lau? Cannot wait to go. Thanks

rastob:
Divebuddy68;

Thanks for the info.
I will be visiting Yap and Palau in May. 5 days in Yap and 10 days in Palau. We will be staing at Trader's Ridge and diving with Werner Lau (which I believe is what you are referring to as the Trader's Ridge Dive Shop). My wife will try their resort course - Are they personable enough for her to get convinced to start diving? THis is make-it-or-berak-it case. I was trying to convince her to dive for years and finally she agreed to try it at Trader's Ridge. Will she enjoy the surrounding dives as a novice? I heard they are pretty shallow and easy, which would be great for her. WHo do you recommend for a DM from Werner Lau? Cannot wait to go. Thanks

Sorry I can't remember the name of the DM, but they all seemed good. Brand new boats too. Yes, I believe she will be convinced. As I said, it was my GF first ever dive in Yap and she thoroughly enjoyed the easy diving there. Manta dive is easy as you just drop to the bottom and sit (just give her an extra couple pounds to make it easier). The reef nearest the resort has a nice plateu that I find is less intimidating that a wall for a new diver. My GF was hooked after 4 dives in Yap. Then she handled the relatively difficult drift diving in Palau and night dives with no problem. She did not miss a dive.

If you want your wife can PM me and my GF can answer any questions.

Hope that helps.

Suggestion:

Have your wife do a intro scuba deal with a local shop before going. The deal where you go one day and they show the gear and put you in the pool to see what it's like. She'll be in much better frame of mind to dive in the ocean. It takes a little while just to stop holding your breath automatically when your head goes under.

She should be pretty relaxed for Palau. Many dives are so easy and beautiful but hooking in under current and watching the sharks nearby too can be unnerving.

Of course, best for her would be certify where you live. Learning there would make every other place relatively easy. But you know that.

rastob:
Divebuddy68;

Thanks for the info.

When I dove Yap I went with Natures Way. Used the same boats as Manta Ray but would only take 4-6 divers max not the 8-10 M.R. did, very experienced in the sites. Su has been there since 92 I think. She was great at finding and showing one from mantas to sea fleas. She would stay very close to new divers and was straight forward in letting you know what needed work, but not in a nasty way. Adament about conservation. Most of the week that I was there I was the only diver peeerrrfect!! Being Yap Day seats on the plane, rooms at the inn, might have been taken by locals coming home?? not sure, but the lack of divers was awsome. They had no problem taking one diver and did not make you feel it was an inconvenience. Run and owned by locals I highly recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom