Heavy Duty Gear Bags...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willydiver

Reaction score
Any input on heavy duty, durable, no-frills type gear bags. I'm on the lookout for a large duffel style bag made of 1000+ denier Codura and coated mesh ventilation panels. I'm looking for something no frills, industrial strength, and water environment friendly (oversized plastic zippers, etc.). I'm using a mil. surplus ruc-sac now. I put grommets in it for ventilation but I'm looking for an upgrade.

Figured you DIR guys with the no nonsense approach to dive equipment may have some ideas.

Thanks!

WD

If it matters I've been very happy with my bags from http://www.triple-l.biz I have used both the Malibu ($22 - duffel style) and the Titan ($40 - backpack/square style) very heavy duty material, I'm not sure about the drainage issue though - but then again I don't normally store my gear in them - they are just for traveling. Both will hold all my gear including full 3mil wetsuit (also from Triple-L)

Aloha, Tim

I use a North Face large duffel bag, I believe there are supposed to be used for expeditions to base camp for mountaineers. They come in a few different sizes from small to friggin huge, super heavy duty straps and handles. There are made out of a pvc material and are water proof.

So far it has served me very well but they are pretty expensive, mine was in the $140 range. Not sure if your looking for something like that but it has served me well.

JUMBO

I know I will catch some crap for seeming to absolutely endorse Halcyon here, but I bought one of their duffel bags in December of 2001. I use it for EVERY dive trip, whether that is to the pool to teach multiple nights a week, or on a cave trip to Mexico. It has been through all kinds of abuse and is still going strong. It is very much what you are describing in the kind of bag you want, and it is not too expensive. Look at the Halcyon.net website if you want to see it and find a dealer in your area. Sorry for the blatant endorsement, but I swear it is a kick-butt gear bag.

GUEdiver:
... It is very much what you are describing in the kind of bag you want, and it is not too expensive. Look at the Halcyon.net website if you want to see it and find a dealer in your area.

Do they still sell it? I didn't see it on their website...

Tim

willydiver:
Any input on heavy duty, durable, no-frills type gear bags. I'm on the lookout for a large duffel style bag made of 1000+ denier Codura and coated mesh ventilation panels. I'm looking for something no frills, industrial strength, and water environment friendly (oversized plastic zippers, etc.). I'm using a mil. surplus ruc-sac now. I put grommets in it for ventilation but I'm looking for an upgrade.

Figured you DIR guys with the no nonsense approach to dive equipment may have some ideas.

Thanks!

WD

simple plastic tub you can by for $19.95 at wallmart works great for my team. good for about 1 year of heavy travel, then buy a new one.

Curt Bowen:
simple plastic tub you can by for $19.95 at wallmart works great for my team. good for about 1 year of heavy travel, then buy a new one.
yep, doubles as a rinse tank after the dive!

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom