Diving in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockbeauty

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
this is my first post to scubaboard! Great forum!
I am going to Utila the 1st week of april and planned on diving of course (probably around 20 dives).
I would like to know what's your top 5 dive sites I shouldn't miss in Utila (and where is my best chance to see a whale shark!--I know I know-it's a luck thing).

Also, I was thinking to dive with either BICD or deep blue divers (maybe I'll try both!), any suggestion on accomodation (10-20$ for a double with bathroom, hot water and fan) near downtown or sandy bay? Anybody tried Hotel Rose (saw it in moon book but no website)?

*FYI, I am not a very experience diver (22 logged dives--including the blue hole in Belize--130 feet deep!) but I like almost everything (night dives, walls,...) except caverns, which I am not a fan...

Thanks!

Hi rockbeauty, my name is Matt. I would like to welcome you to ScubaBoard!

Take care and Safe Diving. :butnhome:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Hello RockBeauty,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Laurens

Thanks to all of you for welcoming me!
I'll follow your advice murphdivers and post my thread on the "general travel and vacation" section...

I love diving and I just bought my full equipement (i.e. BCD and reg--just missing the compu)...can't wait to try it in Utila in 3 weeks!

Hi there and welcome to ScubaBoard!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Hi Rock Beauty,

The Northside sites differ from the Southside in topography as this is where the Continental shelf meets Utila, in layman terms it's like a giant trench that runs down the Caribbean from Puerto Rico/Caymans to Honduras.

Dive with a center that runs Northside trips on a daily basis, this is where you'll get more chance of an encounter with a Whaleshark. Last week I was guiding some cruise ship guests on a couple of dives and in the surface interval our Captain found 2 Whalesharks and we got to swim with them.

Personally I rate as my top 5;

Northside
CJ's drop off (sheer wall dive)
The Maze (drop off's, canyons, fringing reef and exciting)
Duppy Waters (cold upwelling, slight current, lot's of sponges ont he walls and Caribbean fish)

SouthSide
Blackhills (Seamount off the reef, lot's of pelagics)
Airport caves (as the name suggests lot's of swim throughs and Caves, Eagle Rays)

Have a great time, Utila rocks!

Back
Top Bottom