Bay Island Beach Resort, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalOffshore

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone been there? How was it? I am booking to go to Roatan on April 16 to 23rd. We need a childs program and both AKR and FIBR do not have a program going, only babysitters. Any help would be appreciated.

SoCalOffshore:
Has anyone been there? How was it? I am booking to go to Roatan on April 16 to 23rd. We need a childs program and both AKR and FIBR do not have a program going, only babysitters. Any help would be appreciated.

AKR doesn't have activities programs for kids? Exqueeze me?

http://www.anthonyskey.com/akr/kids/index.htm

The place is lousy with the little anklebiters. :11:

I am really not making this up. They DO NOT have a childs program unless there are 2 kids signed up, as of now, there are NO kids signed up.

SoCalOffshore:
I am really not making this up. They DO NOT have a childs program unless there are 2 kids signed up, as of now, there are NO kids signed up.

That's a different kettle of fish, then.

As far as I know, BIBR has a great kid-sitting service, but no kiddie program... certainly nothing like the highly attractive programs at AKR. Have you really tried leaning on the booking agents of AKR to see what they can do?

On the island, there is really nothing that could compare to the kid friendly environment at AKR. Overall, I would rate either of these two AI's in the top 5 on the Bay Islands, without a doubt, but AKR attracts a lot of families with kids... and for good reason.

If you are saddled with this unavoidable situation, I would still defer to AKR. Better there where you can take the kid on a Dolphin Snorkel, etc., or just a little critter interaction on your available time, after the 'babysitting'. I have to imagine that there is more being offered than merely watching your kids in a jail cell for the day. I would bet they have some interactive program. Jeez, you would hope, anyway.

What were you looking for, SASSY? Snorkel? Arts & Crafts? Maybe someone here on SB could point out an alternative kidcare service on the West End that would be more to their stimulation? Try contacting SB member Bay Island Diver by p.m., or use his website at www.padidaddy.com He seems to know the West End very well and could be a good resource.

I would, as a childless adult couple, select BIBR any old time, but with non-diving kids, there's little for you to do there on prem with the "chillerins" when compared with AKR. My take, anyhow. Back in my day the folks just left me tied to a palm tree until I was 2 and then they took me diving. :crafty: I think I'm very nOrMaL.

Try talking directly with AKR's official US Stateside booking agent. Hey- and things might change in terms of how many are booking, they might have 50 kids (I've seen it happen there!) by the next time you check- couldn't hurt!

Thanks or the great info. I talked to AKR booking agent and they offered babysitting for $7 to $10 per DAY and FIBR at $7 per hour. Interesingly enough, BIBR said they would put on the kids program for the $300 fee, even if it was just my son and may even add some local kids. I am not sure what that means. We are planning on being there April 16 to 23.

SoCalOffshore:
Thanks or the great info. I talked to AKR booking agent and they offered babysitting for $7 to $10 per DAY and FIBR at $7 per hour. Interesingly enough, BIBR said they would put on the kids program for the $300 fee, even if it was just my son and may even add some local kids. I am not sure what that means. We are planning on being there April 16 to 23.

That BIBR program sure sounds like some good "local" interaction for your little ones. Great exposure for them! :wink: :dazzler1: :dance: :alien_3: :life:

I may not be taking my son now. One of BIBR points was they said only 8 to 10 divers per boat. They said many other outfits put 20 plus per boat. Any truth to this? I like the fact you can shore dive the spooky channel and order off the menu and not just buffet. We do plan on going into town a few times for dinner and drinks, any suggestions not to miss?

SoCalOffshore:
I may not be taking my son now. One of BIBR points was they said only 8 to 10 divers per boat. They said many other outfits put 20 plus per boat. Any truth to this?

Kind of yes. They have small boats.

I like the fact you can shore dive the spooky channel

You can make it to some diveable terrain from the shore but it taxes the deffinition of a shore dive just a bit. There is precious little shore diving in Roatan, there are but 4 resorts that can offer it (3/4 of them mostly as a technical point), and BIBR is one of them.

and order off the menu and not just buffet.

That might be a plus

We do plan on going into town a few times for dinner and drinks, any suggestions not to miss?

The "Garden of Eatin" and the "Argentinian Grille".

Please let me know how you liked BIBR. We just booked out vacation there last night for May. We also liked that fact that you can order off of the menu and I think shore diving the spooky Channel was the determining factor. We are not taking our kids so programs for them is not an issue, but I would love to hear about it when you return so I know what to look forward to.

SoCalOffshore:
I may not be taking my son now. One of BIBR points was they said only 8 to 10 divers per boat. They said many other outfits put 20 plus per boat. Any truth to this? I like the fact you can shore dive the spooky channel and order off the menu and not just buffet. We do plan on going into town a few times for dinner and drinks, any suggestions not to miss?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom