headlamps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good headlamp for diving? I think that it would be great to free up a hand for ab diving by using a head lamp. Any suggestions on type,style,or any other input?

where the heck are you ab diving that you need a headlamp? It's usually pretty light where I go, even when the vis is 2 feet and its overcast and under a kelp canopy

I have the "Night-rider" head lamps. They are the same manufacture for bike headlights. The rechargeable battery is great. One side of the light is 10Watts and the other is 5watts together they are 15 of course. The light at 10 watts lasts a couple of hours. It is great to have the hands free too.
In the past before spending the $300-$400 for lights I used to sew a little strip of Neoprene about 4" by 6" in top of the neoprene hood. Sew on two opposing sides and open front and rear. I would then insert a Q4 flashlight in and it would stay. This again would be hands free. Adjusting the direction of the light by pushing in or back to adjust. Just a thought. I've used the Neoprene patch on top of the hood for years night diving. Bill

I manufactured one from a construction type hardhat and three of the 4 cell UK lights. I mounted two on each side, did a cut-out for the one in the center, and mounted them with zip-ties. You have to cut the bill off so it doesn't interfere with your mask, use all stainless bolts and nuts, rig an adjustable chin strap with a quick release buckle and you're good to go. You can use any combination of the three lights, use them all at once or one at the time. I usually use the two outboard and keep the center for a reserve. It's lightweight, simple, batteries are cheap. Make sure when you set it up you focus the spots at a point where all three come together. Got mine at about 3 ft (bad viz where I dive) illuminates a spot about the size of aoutomobile steering wheel. It's bright red, easily seen on the surface, keeps your hands free... I can send you a photo if you PM me your e-mail address.

Still not seeing where you are diving for abs that you would need a light, here in california. If you need a light, your buddy probably can't see you on the surface, and thats just suicide. All parts of that question are screaming red flag.

Justin699:
Still not seeing where you are diving for abs that you would need a light, here in california. If you need a light, your buddy probably can't see you on the surface, and thats just suicide. All parts of that question are screaming red flag.
HAHAHA Well I am sure that we dive for abs in the same general areas...and yes the lighting is usually sufficient to see them. I do however like to venture into deeper dives and also it is nice to have the extra light to help decide which abs are bigger when looking into the deeper crevises. As for a buddy, I prefer to dive alone...that way I do not have to babysit or be babysat. This way I dont get overconfident that my partner will pull me out if something goes wrong. I do go out with my father when possible though. The rest of my friends prefer to rock pick.
Hope to see you out there next month!!

Back
Top Bottom