DIR Compatible Ice Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there such a thing as a DIR compatible ice diving harness? When I learned to ice dive, I was told to never hook the line to your BCD. Now that I dive a BP/W configuration, I assume that still should apply. I'm wanting to buy an ice diving harness, but I'm not having much luck finding one that I trust. The one on LP looks like it has velcro on it. Yikes!!! Does anyone know where I could purchase one on-line? I haven't found any stores in the Chicago area that sell them.

Boogie711:
I don't believe DIR and tethering yourself to anything are compliant. When the DIR folks around here ice dive they treat it as a cave.

As in they tie the line (or ice screw it into the ice) to the surface outside (or at the edge) of the hole and run a reel?

Green_Manelishi:
As in they tie the line (or ice screw it into the ice) to the surface outside (or at the edge) of the hole and run a reel?
Drop a weighted line down the hole....tie into this line when you are in the water.

jhnsndn:
Is there such a thing as a DIR compatible ice diving harness? When I learned to ice dive, I was told to never hook the line to your BCD.
I don't know doodly squat about ice diving, so forgive my stupid question, but, assuming that you want to be tethered to the surface in the first place, why couldn't you hook into the harness on your back plate?

When I took the PADI Ice course, we were tethered off. The only reason some people wore harnesses is if they didn't have an available D-ring on their BCD. This is probably only for oldschool gear. Anybody now has d-rings so we didn't wear harnesses.

As for DIR, just like a cave as far as I know.

I was going to ask - WHY a harness when divers either have a BCD or BP harness with D-rings to 'tie off' to?

jhnsndn:
Is there such a thing as a DIR compatible ice diving harness? When I learned to ice dive, I was told to never hook the line to your BCD. Now that I dive a BP/W configuration, I assume that still should apply. I'm wanting to buy an ice diving harness, but I'm not having much luck finding one that I trust. The one on LP looks like it has velcro on it. Yikes!!! Does anyone know where I could purchase one on-line? I haven't found any stores in the Chicago area that sell them.

:11: If you have a BP/W, your set. Don't go buy another "ICE diving" one. Is someone telling you that you have to have something different? I'm thinking you're already set up... Can you elabrate on what more people are telling you? (In the mean time DON'T buy another BP/W...)

Hi,
No - no one is telling me that - just that everyhting I have read talks about 'Ice Diving Harnesses." I have never Ice Dove before and want to try it eventually. I know little about it actually - except that one needs 'Overhead Training' due to the seriousness of the beast...

ScoobieDooo:
Hi,
No - no one is telling me that - just that everyhting I have read talks about 'Ice Diving Harnesses." I have never Ice Dove before and want to try it eventually. I know little about it actually - except that one needs 'Overhead Training' due to the seriousness of the beast...

I wish I was as eloquent as some of my dive buddies about this subject. If you’ve done the GUE courses or some cavern/cave diving that are similar then you’re already set to go. I was lucky enough to have many experienced dive buddies help me baby step my way into that type of diving so I would suggest the same to you. If you’re in NY there must be a ton of divers like that. Good luck man and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom