Suunto Vytec Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christopher520

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Vytec Dive computer. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns one. I'd like to know what your opion of it is?

And that includes the software that comes with it.

regards.

Christopher520

300+ dives on mine. Just changed the battery. Good software. No complaints.

I have the Vytec as well, and have been diving with it about a dozen times. I've never lost signal during a dive, unlike my experience with an Aeris wireless which lost signal multiple times in a single dive. The Aeris experience stays with me, and I dive with a backup mini-console (Cressi-Sub) on my other high pressure port, but the Vytec has been solid so far. I also like its log function, and easy ability to change nitrox percentages. Have fun with it.

You want our opinions AFTER purchasing it? Sure.

I absolutely love mine. The SUUNTO software is very user-friendly; a couple times through everything and you will not need the manual or flow chart. Display is very easy to read and buttons are easy to operate to access additional modes during the dive, which is a rare need anyway. It is an excellent deco diving computer (assuming you have the training and equipment to make deco dives), including 3-gas switch on-the-fly and depth ceilings (although it only displays the most shallow possible stop--you need to have the training and experience, and tables, to calculate the deeper stops to enhance your safety and offgassing.)

Reliability is very high! The failures I've heard reported were few and far between, and company support is excellent at replacing those that were bad.

Enjoy it!!

theskull

I second the skulls comments, especially the part about asking for advice after the purchase of the product. I love my Vytec.

OK I changed my mind. I like my vytec but.... It will not allow me to change to deco gas at 1.6 po2. It seems to want me to be shallower before I do my gas switches than I would normally. Since I don't use the vytec as a computer on most deeper dives it's never been an issue but I thought I would try it today and now I'm locked out for 24hr.

wedivebc:
OK I changed my mind. I like my vytec but.... It will not allow me to change to deco gas at 1.6 po2. It seems to want me to be shallower before I do my gas switches than I would normally. Since I don't use the vytec as a computer on most deeper dives it's never been an issue but I thought I would try it today and now I'm locked out for 24hr.

Small problem, easy solution. You only have to be 1 foot shallower to make the switch (example = 19 ft. for O2, will not switch at 20).

First, make sure you program the deco gasses in for a PP of 1.6. Next, consider lying just a bit--I tell my Vytec that my final deco gas is 95% rather than 99%--then it will let me make the switch at 22 ft. or less, and does not affect the deco time.

Enjoy your dives,

theskull

theskull:
Small problem, easy solution. You only have to be 1 foot shallower to make the switch (example = 19 ft. for O2, will not switch at 20).

First, make sure you program the deco gasses in for a PP of 1.6. Next, consider lying just a bit--I tell my Vytec that my final deco gas is 95% rather than 99%--then it will let me make the switch at 22 ft. or less, and does not affect the deco time.

Enjoy your dives,

theskull
Ok thanks, I love my vytec again.

Anybody else have any problems with the transmitter. I am looking at going with the vytec with AI but have heard there are problems with the wireless transmitter not necesariy with the vytec but transmitters in general. Every time there was no mention of the manufacturer so I'm not sure if it's primarely certain models or manufactures. Any real time users with any transmitter?

My Vytec has the transmitter and I haven't had a problem with it, but, I also have an SPG. I would never ever dive with just the transmitter, just to risky for my taste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom