Coco View in Septemeber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a weeks vacation for Labor Day week and I'm debating whether I should go to Coz or Cocoview. I do have a trip voucher for Coco that I have to use up so i'm leaning toward Roatan. I know it's hurricane season but if anyone could give me some specifics about what kind of weather I could expect in Roatan that time of year (short of a hurricane) I would appreciate it. Thanks.

nikyyo:
I have a weeks vacation for Labor Day week and I'm debating whether I should go to Coz or Cocoview. I do have a trip voucher for Coco that I have to use up so i'm leaning toward Roatan. I know it's hurricane season but if anyone could give me some specifics about what kind of weather I could expect in Roatan that time of year (short of a hurricane) I would appreciate it. Thanks.

You are correct in all of your statements. You will be exposed to the tropical storm seaon in Roatan and the Bay Islands. These storms generally tack to the North West and strike landfall between Belize and the Yucatan, Coz and Cancun. In the Bay Islands you might suffer rains, while to the North they might be evacuating.

Neither destination is a sure bet picnic.

Know this, however: As to Roatan, your best bet is a resort on the South side. Crummy weather comes from the North and unless you are at CoCoView or Fantasy Island you're going to be disappointed. If it gets really icky, AKR will send you around to the South side on their boats and take you diving to a few of the Western dive sites on the South side. (Do not count on any other operation to do this)

Watch on the internet satellite images of the Africa-South America South Atlantic. You will see quite clearly what weather forecasters talk about when they say, "storms spawning on the continent of Africa, move West over the Atlatic and follow an Equatorial path". As they reach South America, they may "lift" and rotate in a wide sweeping arc, up and to the right of the winward Caribbean islands, or they may plw right through. In the Gulf is where storms gain power.

They may lift there in a clockwise pattern and either fall harmlessly on any piece of land from Belize around the pan and back to Florida, or in very rare occasions (Mitch 1988) may do what they can not do, and that is to head South right for the Bay Islands and the mainland of Honduras. Included in this relatively Hurricane proof (?) area is also the Northern coast of South America: Los Roques, Aruba Bonaire Curacao, etc.

Either way, it's going to be wet. But then again, you were already wet anyway!

Thanks Roatan Man, I certainly appreciate the info. I think i'll put off my stay until well into fall or early winter. I'll just go to the Michigan/ Notre Dame game that weekend I guess.

I'm heading to CoCoView the 2nd weekend of October. I researched Tropical storms and Hurricanes in the area for that time period going back 20 years, and there has never been a direct hit on Roatan and only a couple of near misses (Mitch being one of those). Most of the storms track further north that late in the season.

Needless to say I don't want to put my foot in my mouth and say it will never happen, but I think the odds are in my favor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom