Folly Cove, 3/12/2005...34 degrees, 34 mins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
gmbaker and I loaded up his truck on Saturday morning and braved the ridiculousluy crappy weather to find a dive site. Our first try was Old Garden Beach, but there was a fair amount of surf and the tide was within only a few feet of the ramp. We then decided to check out Pebble Beach, since it is facing the opposite direction. On our way down the road, we see this gigantic splash that probably went 30 ft up into the air or more. Not one to miss a good show, we turned in and watched a bunch of surfers on the huge breakers coming in for a bit on the beach just west of Pebble. Pebble itself only marginally better, but still undiveable. So, we decided to check out Folly Cove. We did stop at Cathedral just for the view, but the tide was so high, I couldn't even find the giant-stride rock.

Folly was very calm and we suited up to get in. I had never been there and Gary had only been there once, so we didn't really know much about the topology, and as such, spent half of the dive in the sand swimming over to the left hand side of the cove. Vis was decent, maybe 20 ft but very very surgey. This was Gary's second drysuit dive and my first dive using my steel 72 single. Both of us were underweighted and had to end up calling the dive early. We got a little beat up in the surge as we were tossed back and forth amongst the rocks swimming back in 10 fsw.

Max depth - 22 ft
Temp - 34 degrees F
Bottom time - 34 minutes
Vis - 20ft-ish

The snow, sleet, and rain was really coming down hard on the drive back and given the ineptitude of the Mass Dept of Transportation at clearing the roads, it took us a while to get home.

Man, I hope this weather gets better soon. At this rate, the water temperatures aren't going to leave the 30s until July! I was supposed to dive the Poling off the Gauntlet today, but Capt. Dave called at 6:45 am and reported an 11 ft swell coming in, so it looks like 2 more weeks until I get wet again.

Yeah I emailed my buddies with a copy of the marine forecast today...I knew Folly would be the only doable shore site but I figured the vis would be awful with the recent seas. That is cool you had good vis.

How's the snow path to the water? I can't believe you have never been to Folly. My favorite way to do this sit is to swim halfway to NH (slight exaggeration) before ascending so you can descend into at least 20' of water. It is a long swim to reach even 50' there. Made longer when the temps are sub 40.

I can't wait for the weather pattern to shift to get started with Spring.

--Matt

The path wasn't bad at all...the snow was real wet, so it was easy to make footprints.

Next time, we'll try to get out to the wall before descending.

Ah right - wet snow would make good (somewhat stable) foot paths. Sometimes you are ice skating down the hill. We have (jokingly) considered a sled entry at Folly. How cool would that be? Reg in, position your hand/gear just as you would making a boat entry, and down the hill. Ha ha...maybe we should build such a sled path/chute at Cat.....that would be a fast entry but talk about convenient!

--Matt

I was in the St Lawrence at Prescott, ON, on that day. Beautiful day.. bright sun,a bit nippy. Buddy and I hopped in, we were down with a max depth of 42 feet and surfaced at 35 minutes.. 32 degrees.

http://www.jonnythan.com/ottawa/IMG_2585.JPG

MMMMMM :D

I need to get out to the coast with you guys sometime.

Nice. We had snow, sleet, rain, and a tiny bit of hail all within the time we were up in Gloucester....absolutely craptacular weather with huge breakers on the other side of the cape.

jonnythan:
I was in the St Lawrence at Prescott, ON, on that day. Beautiful day.. bright sun,a bit nippy. Buddy and I hopped in, we were down with a max depth of 42 feet and surfaced at 35 minutes.. 32 degrees.

http://www.jonnythan.com/ottawa/IMG_2585.JPG

MMMMMM :D

I need to get out to the coast with you guys sometime.

matt_unique:
We have (jokingly) considered a sled entry at Folly. How cool would that be? Reg in, position your hand/gear just as you would making a boat entry, and down the hill. Ha ha...maybe we should build such a sled path/chute at Cat.....that would be a fast entry but talk about convenient!
Man, that would be a blast. Definately something for video.

Soggy:
Max depth - 22 ft
Temp - 34 degrees F
Bottom time - 34 minutes
Vis - 20ft-ish

The snow, sleet, and rain was really coming down hard on the drive back and given the ineptitude of the Mass Dept of Transportation at clearing the roads, it took us a while to get home.

You are nuts...

OK, all New England divers are nuts by definition, but you two are more so than most!

Back
Top Bottom