King crab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're visiting Kirkenes Norway, next to the Russian border, in mid May. PLenty of them there as well. Looking forward to seeing them! Never seen one before, or tasted them!

konge%20krabbe.jpg

DSCF0043.JPG

Pictures from: www.arctic-dive.no

i'm green with envy!

You all really know how to hurt a guy. :D Very nice.

Justin699:
i'm green with envy!

Order those flight tickets and go somewhere you've never been before and do something you've never done before!
-Now that's great fun, and just what we're doing!

If your boss says no - fire him! :wink:
(You can always find a new boss...)

Anyway, these King Crabs aren't welcomed in Norway since they are an introduced species. The russians moved a few individuals from the Pacific over to the Northern Ocean and they've multiplied ever since. Now they're a pest in our northernmost waters, and they destroy fishing nets and eat anything that doesn't move on the ocean floor. You can see them in tens of thousands some places.

And to top it off our government is bound to fishing treaties with the russians, so we cannot start commercial fishing for them in any amount that would help. Those with a king crab license however, they can pretty much laugh all the way to the bank, 'cause prices for king crab are way up there!

It's supposed to be great food, and I intend to find out pretty soon, with or without permission!

How the heck do you catch those monsters without getting your fingers pinched off? And what kind of bag do you need to carry 'em up??

I think we as good Scuba Divers and members of the largest Scuba related site on the web, should get together and go to Norway to help them deal with this blite.

I will personally do my utmost to eat as many King Crabs as humanly possible. :D

KOMPRESSOR:
Anyway, these King Crabs aren't welcomed in Norway since they are an introduced species. The russians moved a few individuals from the Pacific over to the Northern Ocean and they've multiplied ever since. Now they're a pest in our northernmost waters, and they destroy fishing nets and eat anything that doesn't move on the ocean floor. You can see them in tens of thousands some places.

And to top it off our government is bound to fishing treaties with the russians, so we cannot start commercial fishing for them in any amount that would help. Those with a king crab license however, they can pretty much laugh all the way to the bank, 'cause prices for king crab are way up there!

It's supposed to be great food, and I intend to find out pretty soon, with or without permission!

I haven't had the chance to catch and kings while diving - just dungeness. They move faster than you would think, and they aren't that easy to get into the bag. I just got a new canvas bag, and I think that will make things easier, as there is no mesh for them to get tangled up in.

Crab pots work great for the kings.... a lot easier too!

mmmmm..... I'm getting hungry!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom