Permit (trachinotus Fulcatus) hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
Is permit shooting illegal while snorkeling? I seemed to have read that it is in Florida but on some website guys were talking about shooting them. They are kind of tame underwater, as fish go, and don't seem to fear divers or snorkelers. This would seem to make them easy prey. I also read that they aren't good eating but I had some a few nights ago though and it was delicious. Much whiter meat and lighter taste than the other jacks.

Permit are not legal to spear in Florida. Florida law does not make a distinction between hunting on scuba, freediving, or even bow hunting.

ReefGuy:
Permit are not legal to spear in Florida. Florida law does not make a distinction between hunting on scuba, freediving, or even bow hunting.

Do you know why this is? Are they considered endangered? I see them a lot down here.

I have no idea. They're not endangered that I know of. Florida has some funky laws regarding spearfishing. The fishing industry is run here by commercial fisherman, and to a lesser extent, hook and liners. Until just recently, spearfishing has had very little representation in the government.

ReefGuy:
I have no idea. They're not endangered that I know of. Florida has some funky laws regarding spearfishing. The fishing industry is run here by commercial fisherman, and to a lesser extent, hook and liners. Until just recently, spearfishing has had very little representation in the government.

I just talked to a Belize Bureau of Animal Health Authority, which is connection with fisheries people, and she told me it's ok to shoot permit as long as you don't do it commercially and in designated parks. I read on the Net that they aren't good eating but I guess that's a personal preference. Another guyhere tells me they're a prize eating fish and certainly the best of the jack family. I have to agree....burp.

Sweet. I don't know about the commercial laws in Florida. Are you saying that commercial hunting of Permit in Florida is legal, or are you talking about Belize?

How does it compare to amberjack?

ReefGuy:
Sweet. I don't know about the commercial laws in Florida. Are you saying that commercial hunting of Permit in Florida is legal, or are you talking about Belize?

How does it compare to amberjack?

I'm sorry. I meant it's not legal to commercially hunt permit in Belize. You can take them for sport (according to her) with a limit but she didn't know what it was. And it's not legal to spear in any designated park here. But I have been stopped by Fisheries people at the park on Northern Ambergris and they werre just concerned that I wasn't getting conch. Fishing was ok, with a pole.
The taste of permit is delicate and the meat is really white. Amber jack is more red isn't it? Like a tuna? Hank

Permit is a different species, but essentially much like a large pompano. They are great fighters and great eating.
Like many fish in Florida, snook and redfish for example, they became off limits because hook & liners got laws passed against spearfishing.

Amberjack is awesome smoked, as is or in a fish spread.

Chad

Chad Carney:
Permit is a different species, but essentially much like a large pompano. They are great fighters and great eating.
Like many fish in Florida, snook and redfish for example, they became off limits because hook & liners got laws passed against spearfishing.

Amberjack is awesome smoked, as is or in a fish spread.

Chad

I cleaned my first permits last Sunday. One had a handful of 1/4 - 3/4 inch coral rock chips in it's stomach. And they have no teeth but two plates in the throat that feel like, and are as hard as a piece of coral. I guess they use them for grinding up crabs.
I hit the first one behind the gills near the spine and lateral line and he died pretty quickly but the second one was a wrestle. Both were about 15 lbs. I had a shot at a couple 8 lb snappers but......I need more practice.

Back
Top Bottom