Which Snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
I know what you are wondering, why make a thread about snorkels since they are all practically the same, well that's what I thought until I drank a moutfull of saltwater that went in through my purge valve. I have an Oceanic snorkel and the darn thing lets water come in through the purge valve, I tried to clean it but it still lets some water in through the purge valve and I can't seem to find a decent snorkel without a purge valve, anybody have any sugestions for a good snorkel without a purge valve or one that will not allow any water to come in through the purge valve, even after prolonged use.

Thanks.

z28pwr:
I have an Oceanic snorkel and the darn thing lets water come in through the purge valve, I tried to clean it but it still lets some water in through the purge valve and I can't seem to find a decent snorkel without a purge valve, anybody have any sugestions for a good snorkel without a purge valve or one that will not allow any water to come in through the purge valve, even after prolonged use.
My Aqualung Impulse snorkel with purge has worked well for several years, even though I'm not good about rinsing or cleaning it. A couple of times I have had to pull back the silicone purge valve mushroom and wipe off sand to get the purge valve to seal good, but that's no different that what you need to do with the exhaust valve on the 2nd stage of a scuba reg. Same design.

Are you sure you aren't just getting water splashed in via the top?

I find the dumb tube w/o purge valve best if I'm freediving. They are easier to clear by putting just a bit of air into them as your ascend. For surface snorkeling, however, I' prefer a snorkel with a bottom purge valve.

Charlie

The only snorkels I've forsworn on are OceanMaster dry snorkels. They have a large bore, a bulb on top, and a significant reservoir with the purge. They take some getting used to for scuba (being bulky), but the darn things are dry to the bone. BONE-dry. The flex-model is best for scuba-divers. I have one of those for diving, and two standard-types for snorkeling and underwater hockey.

There are other "dry-snorkels" out on the market too. Sounds like that's the type of snorkel you're after. Water coming in via the purge valve is rather bizarre, and usually indicative of the one-way valve being torn or coming loose. I've never encountered water coming in from the purge that wasn't due to a bad valve.

hehehehe.. i still got that snorkel. only one i've ever used, and i still snorkel with
it on vacations.

just because it's simple doesn't mean it doesn't work! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom