Seeking Sacandaga Lake, NY divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Seeking anyone who has ever dove Sacandage Lake, NY for some info on the remaning township / relics that remain after the flooding of this man-made lake.

I am a local diver with a OW Cert and Nitrox Cert who has done all my diving in the Central, NY area and Florida Keys prior to moving back to this area in 2008 and am seeking diving buddies for some dives locally this summer.

I am also a NYS RN, prior EMT - dive OMS gear - am a safe diver, no ego here...just looking to connect with some other local divers this year to log some dives in in this area and see what's here to explore, etc.

Mike

Lake George is one of my favorite diving destinations, but a boat is almost essential to get to some interesting dive sites, IMO.

I've got the gps coordinates, if you've got the boat.... :D

Dave C

Dave,
I don't have a boat but there are charters and scuba clubs that have boats and can be hired for 1/2 days or more to dive there.

Well,
I am thinking that it wouldn't be too severe of a cost if there were several divers will to share the expense of a charter boat, etc.

I do not have an Advanced Open Water cert so I can't dive the deeper wreck there at like 110-120 ft - which New York State DEC requires one to have to do-so....I am more interested in doing ANY dives in Lake George this year - even a shore entry dive honestly - just to see what diving the lake IS like, and checking it out anyway.

Much of those wrecks left there I think are pretty much just wood boats of the 1700's era - unlike the big wrecks like the Andrea Doria or theUSS Spiegel Grove wrecks that make more of a interesting dive - at least to me -being much bigger with 'more to see' then some wood framing, etc.

Well,
I am thinking that it wouldn't be too severe of a cost if there were several divers will to share the expense of a charter boat, etc.

I do not have an Advanced Open Water cert so I can't dive the deeper wreck there at like 110-120 ft - which New York State DEC requires one to have to do-so....I am more interested in doing ANY dives in Lake George this year - even a shore entry dive honestly - just to see what diving the lake IS like, and checking it out anyway.

Much of those wrecks left there I think are pretty much just wood boats of the 1700's era - unlike the big wrecks like the Andrea Doria or theUSS Spiegel Grove wrecks that make more of a interesting dive - at least to me -being much bigger with 'more to see' then some wood framing, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right about the charter cost being lower. I guess I was thinking of worst case, split only two ways, plus the other costs to make the dive happen, such as vehicle fuel. It's a moot issue anyway since that kind of wreck doesn't appeal to you.

By the way, I don't think NYS officials require anything more than a diving certification when one registers for a reservation to dive the Land Tortoise. In their specific guidelines, they didn't mention a particular certification level, but encouraged having the skills and equipment for such a dive.

I could get motivated for a Lake George shore dive if it was a broken wall or steep rocky slope and if it went deep enough, such as 80 to 100 feet. Dives at the base of Rogers Rock (and Slide) come to mind. I'm familiar with a few others that I dove when I had my boat, but I'd have to research their accessibility from shore. A local dive club might have such info. Maybe someone who shore dives Lake George will chime in.

My interest is in getting deep at least briefly, seeing the impressive rock formations, finding lost fishing gear or vintage items and then extending the dive in the shallows to fully appreciate the clear water of Lake George. The aquatic life is often quite prolific in the shallows.

July or August would be best for me to dive Lake George. Unfortunately (if I have a dive buddy), I usually don't like to commit more than a week or two in advance for diving.

Anyway, share your thoughts or more specific dive suggestions or goals and by all means keep in touch by PM as the summer approaches.

Dave C

Last edited:
I'm new to upstate but I know a few places to dive
I went diving last Saturday but that's a very adv dive
but I/m always looking for more dive sites and new dive buddies

My son and I would be interested in joining you guys. We have a cabin in Indian lake and go there quite often. No boat sadly ours is dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom