I need to be an expert lobster hunter by July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
The Florida Lobster Challenge, July 27-28 is fast approaching. Lots of prizes, and I think the person who gets the largest lobster wins $30,000.

So what are some lobster hunting 'secrets'? Can good sized lobsters be taken off shore-dives, or does one have to travel many miles out to sea?

DavidPT40:
So what are some lobster hunting 'secrets'? Can good sized lobsters be taken off shore-dives, or does one have to travel many miles out to sea?

The hardcore folks have "secret stakeout holes" that they've scouted out long in advance, and marked with GPS. In effect, they already know where all the lobster are.

The "trick" for these guys (which number in the HUNDREDS) is to reach these sites the INSTANT the mini-season opens, 'cuz odds are other people have staked out the same spots, and are just as eager to hit them.

There's also lamos that simply follow other boats around, and try to muscle in if the catch looks good. They get yelled at and threatened.

No secret.Shore dives from Sebastian to FtPierce.I like Vero south best.Offshore from South Carolina to Ft.Pierce.80' to 150' deep ledges and live bottom.Shallower will give you more time to search and wrestle them out.Deeper often increases your odds.We have neen in 120' to 140' lately with almost all bugs over 4# and several 8# or more.Thermocline makes the shore dives more palatable and also crowded.

Maybe there is more than one lobster tournament. The one I was reading about had about 40 participants last year. Is there a bigger one going on?

i have a sure-fire, and patented, way to get nice lobsters.

1. find a local seafood restaurant
2. pay the cook for the largest lobster they have

and voila!

:54:

DavidPT40:
The Florida Lobster Challenge, July 27-28 is fast approaching. Lots of prizes, and I think the person who gets the largest lobster wins $30,000.

You might want to re-read those rules real carefully to see what it takes to get the $25,000 grand prize. It's still a great tournament and a lot of fun.

http://www.scuba-works.com/lobsterchallengeresults2004.htm

As far as learning to hunt it's just like spearing, find someone who's pretty good at it and learn from them.

DavidPT40:
Are you trying to imply that its not easy to catch a 16 pound lobster? .

I am about 100% positive that every veteran bug hunter here will tell you that catching a 16 pound bug should actually be very easy. They are old, slow and just can't move that far that fast. Granted I base that on an 8 pounder that I looped and the bigger they are the slower they are. They also tend to act more like bad arse's and stretch out of their holes more than the small ones, giving you an easy opt to tickle/rake/loop from behind them.

So your next question should be Then why doesn't everyone catch 16 pounders?

Because catching bugs is easy, it's finding them that's the hard part!!

This wheelbarrow gets used regularly. Dive with local knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom