Best Fish ID. book for The Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erik.p

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Having been a couple of times to the Red Sea, I have gotten the, IMHO, excellent book "Red Sea Reef Guide" by Debelius.

It covers mostly fishes but also corals, sharks, etc... well pretty much anything you could bump into.

Is there a simular "Bible" for the Philippines?

I'll only use it to identify, so I don't need the kind of books that tells you about specific dive sites etc.

I've managed to find this book on the net, "Asia Pacific Reef Guide" by Debelius, is it any good? (http://www.fish2u.com/aspacreefgui.html)

Know any place where it could be bought cheaper? Is it sold in Manila?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

I have a fairly good one:

Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific
Gerald Allen/Roger Steene/Paul Humann/Ned Deloach
ISBN 1-878348-36-1

It covers your area and over 2000 species (more than 2500 colour photos) I got it from Amazon. It's only fish though!

For other stuff I have:

Tropical Pacific Invertebrates
Patrick L. Colin/Charles Arneson
ISBN 0-9645625-0-2

That covers the rest! :wink:

Kim:
I have a fairly good one:

Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific
Gerald Allen/Roger Steene/Paul Humann/Ned Deloach
ISBN 1-878348-36-1

It covers your area and over 2000 species (more than 2500 colour photos) I got it from Amazon. It's only fish though!

I agree--this is an awesome book. Another excellent book is INDO-PACIFIC CORAL REEF FIELD GUIDE by Gerald Allen and Roger Steene. You can get it on Amazon.

I took this book with me on my last dive trip to the Philippines and the dive instructor liked it so much he bought it from me and I replaced my copy when I got home.

Hello, is there anything new to add on the suggestions on these books or I can just pull the trigger and order the indo pacific coral reef field guide by Allen and Steene? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom