Need Advice on Puerto Galera/Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, my fiance and I are planning on getting married this summer in the Philippines (her family lives near Manila), and I want to include some diving in our trip. We're bringing her two kids with us from the US, and I'm thinking of having the wedding and vacation afterwards in Puerto Galera or Anilao.

We don't have an exact date, but it will be between June and August, when her kids are out of school. I realize it's the worst time weather-wise, but not much choice. My dive trip to PG last November (while we were visiting Manila) was cancelled due to a typhoon hanging off the coast all week. Arggghhh....

Anyway, we could get a couple of rooms at a hotel (total of probably $100 a night), but would like to rent an inexpensive house on the beach if possible to minimze expenses.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to do this while minimizing expenses and maximizing diving? A wedding on the beach would be nice. And I'm the only one who dives, but the others snorkel. I'd also like to find a place to rent a small sailboat.

Thanks for any help.

Hi mccabejc,

I remember your trip getting washed out, seem to recall you were charged US$50 by Atlantis for cancelling your transfer...you're that guy, correct?

You should be able to rent a place in PG for a month for US$150-200 that would accommodate you and the family (if the kids are small). There are more apartments and rooms than stand alone houses in PG, if you plan on a long stay you could book a few days in a resort and then look around the place for other accomodations. There really aren't any places I know of that have the "idyllic palm fringe beach" feel in PG, reading between the lines that what it sounds like you are looking for. The 3 main beaches are fairly built up (Sabang especially so).

You appear to be a traveler so maybe it won't be an issue, but just a caveat, while the diving in PG is great, the beaches (especially Sabang) are built up, accomodation can be relatively simple (for Americans) and Sabang a bit dirty and sleazy. Small and Big Lalaguna are less so, but its still not long white beaches (don't believe the pictures on the resort homepages).

Don't get me wrong, its a great place with great people and I go every chance I get-I was there Christmas/New Years, Chinese New Year and will be there next week-but I don't want you to be delluded about the appearance. Mindoro (island PG is on) is beautiful, just the main population area is not "paradise".

In the Sabang/Sm Lalaguna/Big Lalaguna area there really aren't any boats for rent, Hobie or otherwise. There is a yacht club in Puerto Galera town (15-20 mins from Sabang by jeepney or banka) and you could probably arrange some type of boat there. I can find a contact for the yacht club if you like, just let me know.

If you are looking for a beautiful beach for your wedding I would look somewhere other than PG and Anilao, I've consider getting married in PG myself (my girlfriends a DM there and we are engaged) and have never really come up with a good idea and I don't think there is really any beach in Anilao (Anilao crowd-your 2 centavos please).

The beach on Boracay is great (with a great sunset) but there are only a couple of good dive sites. Alona Beach on Pangalao Island, Bohol has a nice beach and good diving. Other places I haven't been but supposedly have good beachs and good diving are Club Paradise and several resorts on Palawan.

Definitely get outside of Manila, the Philippines is such a beautiful country once you leave the city.

I'll be in PG the latter half of next week for Holy Week and you can PM me if you would like for me to check on anything for you.

Cheers,
Drew

happybuddha:
Hi mccabejc,

I remember your trip getting washed out, seem to recall you were charged US$50 by Atlantis for cancelling your transfer...you're that guy, correct?

Yup. That's me.

Thanks for the excellent info. After checking airfares for this summer we're re-thinking the idea of bringing the whole family to the Philippines for a wedding. Looks like July-August is the high season airfare-wise. We paid $700-800 in November last year, and in July-August of this year the cheapest is around $1200. Yikes.

mccabejc:
Yup. That's me.

Thanks for the excellent info. After checking airfares for this summer we're re-thinking the idea of bringing the whole family to the Philippines for a wedding. Looks like July-August is the high season airfare-wise. We paid $700-800 in November last year, and in July-August of this year the cheapest is around $1200. Yikes.

Whoa, that's a spike...as mentioned before, PM me if you need anything.

I see you posting on the SoCal board occasionally, may have questions for you at some point as I am considering a job opportunity in SD. My Filipina girlfriend hasn't been too keen about moving to the States but if she comes around I may have some questions for you.

Drew

I second happyduddha's recommendation.

Having been to PG only once, I must say I was thoroughly disappointed by the topside.

Have a non-diving Filipna GF, so Boracay is our usual haunt (the diving is much better than its reputation, plus yo ucan take daytrips to see bigger stuff).

Just got back from Panglao. Is very tranquil (if un(der)developed) and we loved the place. Not cheap but absolutely no noise. The diving was superb (if you like wall diving).

Dunno about flight from the US but we usually book from within the Philippines (Philippine Airlines sometimes has package deals and promotions).

We book our rooms directly with the hotel as the travel agent ususally just adds cost.

Summer is Typhoon season, I was in Boracay in July and diving was possible but the beach was full of debris. Talked to the locals in Panglao and they said they usually do not get hit hard by Typhoons.

July is low-season for the Phils, so you might get a good hotel deal (usually 50% off)

Cheers!

happybuddha:
Whoa, that's a spike...as mentioned before, PM me if you need anything.

I see you posting on the SoCal board occasionally, may have questions for you at some point as I am considering a job opportunity in SD. My Filipina girlfriend hasn't been too keen about moving to the States but if she comes around I may have some questions for you.

Drew

Hi mccabejc,

I had a beach wedding myself. I had mine a couple of years ago in Club Noah, Palawan. Their website is www.clubnoah.com.ph. A little bit more expensive than the other resorts in the Philippines (but still better value compared to other places in the world, of course). And the dive sites are some of the best in the planet. I try to make a stop everytime I'm somewhere in Asia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom