Any non-cheesy Luau's on the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're looking for luau that isn't huge and glitzy. Do they exists? We did the Polynesian Cultural Center luau on Oahu with friends several years ago, and although we'd read that it was one of the best, we felt it was the best rip-off. Don't want to repeat anything similar again.

I'm finding ones that are located at resorts on Hawaii. They all say they are the best. If anyone's had a great Luau experience that wasn't with 100+ people, please let me know.

Thanks!

Check out the Royal Kona hotel. I went to it about 3 years ago. It had an awsome sunset. Still upset at the fact that I did not bring my camera that night.

Thanks. I was looking into that one and the one at the Mauna Kea resort I've heard is very good.

Since your trip is still 2 months away I'll give you the secret to finding the best luau... get invited to a Hawaiian wedding or first birthday party ...

sorry if that doesn't help much, but it's hard to recreate a celebration without a reason to celebrate... still some of the tourist luaus have some good food...

And the best part is the friends you make which lead to the luau!

Aloha, Tim

Add my vote for the Royal Kona REsort. We went last year and it wasnt cheesy and it wasnt too expensive. We booked online and got a discount. If I can remember the site I did it thru, I'll let you know. But more than likely I found it thru google!

Aren't luaus by their very nature somewhat cheesy/glitzy? Dancing, drums, fire, etc.

I've heard a few different places that the luau at the Kona Village resort is supposed to be the most "authentic" - whatever that means - luau on the Big Island. I think it runs in the 85 buck range, probably one of the pricier ones over here.

I'm not a real luau guy, only go to them when friends or family want to go. I've really only been to the Royal Kona one, I liked it, but have nothing to compare.

....However.... If you decide "what the heck" and you want to see real cheese in action, try Captain Bean's dinner cruise. It's actually pretty fun.

enjoy,

Of course they are cheesy! But, for $70+ pp I'd like to get something with a bit of merit and decent food and drink. Friends we were with on Oahu some years ago (poster children for tourists worldwide) insisted on the Polynesian Cultural Center and it was no more then a outdoor buffet in a big patio area for over a 100 people with a pretty lame stage show.

If I'm going to go to a luau again (and this time at the request of the couple we're meeting for the week) I'd like something a bit nicer. At nice tropical garden setting or at least grass, better food and good hula dancers.

Hi scubawife, we've been to the Big Island twice. The first time we did the luau at the Mauna Kea which was great--good food and beautiful setting, the show was OK but a bit cheesy (two men with huge grins on their faces hula dancing in turquoise vests and cowboy/paniolo hats with flowers caused a woman next to me to blurt "That's just so wrong!"--but I live in SF so I guess I'm used to people dressed that way) :wink: This time we went to the Marriott which was less expensive but surprisingly decent--I liked the food and they had a great fire-knife dancer. But I would have to say my favorite dinner was the Four Seasons Hualalai. They have a dinner buffet every Saturday called "Surf, Sand and Stars Barbecue". It's not a luau but it has the same type of food--only better--and you sit at your own private tables right on the beach. The food is incredibly delicious and fresh, seafood and steaks grilled to order, and all you can eat! :11ztongue They have live music and single hula dancer but not a "show". And they set up a huge telescope and show you the stars. Very romantic! And you can pretend (for an evening) that you're rich enough to stay at the Four Seasons. If you don't have to have the typical luau I would go there. I wish we could have gone there this last time but we were too busy diving. Check out my recent trip report at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=85798&page=2&pp=10 for more info.
Have fun and let us know how your trip goes!
capybara

Thank you, capybara! The Wizard guide to Hawaii gave Mauna Kea their best all around luau rating, so I was leaning to that one, but now I'll go take a look online and see what I can find about the Marriott. (Your hula dancing cowboy sounds like The Village People go Hawaiian) The Four Seasons evening sounds like something we'd love, but we arrive and leave on a Saturday so it's out. We've done luau's before and could live without one, but the friends we're meeting have asked for a luau. They'll be celebrating a big birthday and the end of the one yr world trip, so I don't want to say no this time.

Can I ask who you dived with and what you thought of the diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom