Problems at Bamboo Beach??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at Bamboo Beach Resort March 5-12. Was going to post a trip report as soon as I got my act together.

Just this morning, I received an email forwarded by some of my fellow travelers:
Bula {travelers' names},

Welcome home! I usually try to get in touch after my clients have been home for a few days just to check in and see how their trip went, but you beat me to the punch. ...

I don’t know if you know yet, but you will be some of the last guests to stay at Bamboo Beach. The resort has been sold and will cease operations as of April 1st. When you do have some free time, I would like to touch base to hear about your trip and what you liked or disliked, and whether everything went smoothly.

Vinaka,

Scott Kukral
We did have a good time there, and although the occupancy rate was very low, everything seemed to be going normally. The day we left, 21 guests arrived.

I guess I will still post a trip report for the record. But the sense of urgency ... that anyone might be able to make use of it ... is gone.

--Eric

ECR:
I stayed at Bamboo Beach Resort March 5-12. Was going to post a trip report as soon as I got my act together.

Just this morning, I received an email forwarded by some of my fellow travelers:

We did have a good time there, and although the occupancy rate was very low, everything seemed to be going normally. The day we left, 21 guests arrived.

I guess I will still post a trip report for the record. But the sense of urgency ... that anyone might be able to make use of it ... is gone.

--Eric

Eric
Please post anyway, We stayed there last July, and really loved it. Hopefully new ownership will continue to operate the same. We also spent a week at Beqa Lagoon (formerly Marlin Bay) which survived a change in ownership quite well. As long as they don't change anything!

chuck e:
Eric
Please post anyway, We stayed there last July, and really loved it. Hopefully new ownership will continue to operate the same. We also spent a week at Beqa Lagoon (formerly Marlin Bay) which survived a change in ownership quite well. As long as they don't change anything!
Yup, chuck e, I do intend to put a trip report together. I just finished assembling a slide show for friends at work who enjoy my vacations after I get back. The narrative is next. Please be patient ... I'll surely get it done before next year's trip.

:eyebrow:
--Eric

PS
Have also heard from the manager of the dive operation there. He's looking for another job. Not a sign that the new management will be carrying on with the same type of resort or serving the same type of clients (divers).

To paraphrase Samuel Clemens; The Rumors of Bamboo Beach's demise have been much exaggerated. I have been in touch with the management at Bamboo Beach and am informed that the resort is temporarily shutdown for the completion of several projects and infrastructure upgrades. It has not been sold (although I am told it can be had for the right price).
I have no information on any scheduled reopening date. Let's hope it's soon.
PS
Have also heard from the manager of the dive operation there. He's looking for another job. Not a sign that the new management will be carrying on with the same type of resort or serving the same type of clients (divers).
Think the Dive Ops Mgr. may be looking for work simply because an extended lay-off during the shut down could be detrimental to his pocketbook?

friscofrankie:
To paraphrase Samuel Clemens; The Rumors of Bamboo Beach's demise have been much exaggerated. I have been in touch with the management at Bamboo Beach and am informed that the resort is temporarily shutdown for the completion of several projects and infrastructure upgrades. It has not been sold (although I am told it can be had for the right price).

Think the Dive Ops Mgr. may be looking for work simply because an extended lay-off during the shut down could be detrimental to his pocketbook?

Temporarily shutdown or shutdown, neither bodes well. I've been told the management cancelled April and later bookings. Not a good sign at all.

BTW, is Bamboo Beach Divers still the dive operator there since Dan grenier went missing on a dive?

friscofrankie:

It is my understanding that George Taylor and his partner have indeed sold the resort. Do not know what new owners intend, but it is closed as I understand from Beqa Island management (George's old resort formerly known as Marlin Bay).
I spoke with George (I have known him for years) at the resort in November and he was very optimistic about the resort and the improvements they were going to make. He even had new dive boats (which were needed) coming in the week after we left.
I have not talked to him since November, but the folks at Beqa Island told me he sold.

donacheson:
Temporarily shutdown or shutdown, neither bodes well. I've been told the management cancelled April and later bookings. Not a good sign at all.

BTW, is Bamboo Beach Divers still the dive operator there since Dan grenier went missing on a dive?

Bamboo Beach DIvers were dive operators when we were there in November and Dan's wife (supposed widow) was working each day and captained our boat a couple of days we were there.

divepix:
Bamboo Beach DIvers were dive operators when we were there in November and Dan's wife (supposed widow) was working each day and captained our boat a couple of days we were there.

I've also heard recently that Alisi Grenier now sometimes works for Kai Viti Divers.

It sounds as if Bamboo Beach Resort and Bamboo Reef Divers are no longer factors in Fiji diving. Too bad. Dan Grenier pioneered some damn fine diving there, both in Lau and the Bligh Water.

divepix:
Does anyone know anything about the new Bamboo Beach Resort in Fiji having problems staying open? I heard a rumor.

I've been told by a former employee that the resort is temporarily closed and that all employees were given 24 hr notice and were terminated. Alledgedly, George Taylor is marketing the resort now with plans to open it in the near future. Both of these pieces of info are second-hand.

Back
Top Bottom