Charter Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I have begun booking a number of spring charter trips around NE, all to well know wrecks, the loran/gps numbers of which are well known. Still, I would like to GPS the exact spot the charter boats puts us so I can reutrn in my own boat with my buddy. Am I going to be swimming home if I pull out my Garim Trek GPS, is this considered "bad form." I don't want to offend any charter captains, but, I'd love to get some waypoints. Your thoughts?

Don't know if it's bad form -- but I suspect it might be. Though check with dive books of the local area, you'll be surprised that many of them list GPS etc, for many. you might also check with other "naval" type agencies who might record them as some sort of hazard - perhaps not for the hazard they cause, but because of dive boats... don't really know though.

If your going to do it be very careful, like don't let them see it or they might keel haul you. Boat captains are very cautious about their numbers. You'd definitly be swimming back if you were caught on a jersey boat with a hand held.....Ken

Somthing you may try is to simply ask the Captain if it would be alright for you to get the location of the wreck. The worst he can do is say no and I am sure he would rather you ask than just take it wth you and not. Most Wrecks are not a big secret. Some of the Captains I have been with have been very helpful in this area.

Happy diving

Tom

Ask, prior to leaving the dock. If he or she says no, leave your GPS at home.

Tom

Thanks everyone, I'll ask the captain before we head out, if he oks it I'll definaltey show my gratitute in my tip.

I actually have the published numbers for most of the wrecks I've signed up to dive, but, it's nice to get the exact spot if you are there.

I'll be sure to let you guys know what the various captains tell me.

Originally posted by MASS-Diver
I don't want to offend any charter captains, but, I'd love to get some waypoints. Your thoughts?

I don't remember who it was, but the only time I've ever seen a captain mention it in their information was one that stated, basically, that if your caught with a GPS it goes in the water [Referencing their livelyhood and the work they did to find the wreck in the first place].

What I would do if I was you, is play it a little fair. Take your compass and take some bearings on fixed objects, and use those bearings to find your way back! :) [well, if the captain doesn't pony up the numbers :)]

Nobody owns a dive site.

If they don't want to give you numbers they know they don't offer much in the way of service to get you to come back.

If you want them and don't have any points of reference (landmarks) to go back on your own with put your GPS in your bag leave it on and look at the trail that was left to determine dive site.

Captains are very sensative to their GPS/Lorane C numbers. They do not own the sites, but they are taking you, the diver to it and it you get the #s, you will not need them. This is their business and alot of them have spent a ton of time looking for wrecks,reefs, hangs, what ever to add to their lists of dive sites. If you want to dive from your own boat, fine - just don't think the Capt. is going to give you all the numbers for the dives.

Eric

have begun booking a number of spring charter trips around NE, all to well know wrecks, the loran/gps numbers of which are well known. [/B]

Read the original post-- these are well documented sites.

To win my repeated business you need to do more than take me to a dive site.

Back
Top Bottom