DIR equipment: computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riddler

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost: I read a lot of FAQs and did some searching here, but didn't find anything.

I'm an SSI diver (DiveCon), but have become interested in DIR diving. I've read some things on equipment, but I don't see anything about dive computers. Do DIR divers shun computers? Does the average DIR diver wear a computer?

In SSI, there is a lot of push for computers, so I was surprised to not yet read anything about them in DIR. I currently have an UWATEC computer with integrated wireless that monitors air pressure and I always dive with a backup computer (non-integrated) on my BC.

Most DIR divers utilize a bottom timer or a wrist computer in manual mode and calculate on the fly. As PUG would say, "computers rot your brain" which means my brain is probably beyond repair as i have been using a computer for so long :D

Well....I'll try to post something sensible about this before the hounds come.

Basically, DIR doesn't use computers but a lot of DIR divers do. Purists will not and some will even call you names for this. For recreational diving, I personally believe that computers have proven their worth and I just don't understand the fuss.

Historically I think the aversion to computers had a lot to do with the fact that the WKPP were doing dives for which none of the computers on the market were suitable. An alternative technique was developed to sort of do what computers do manually and this technique is what the purists will tell you is the only thing that works.

In the meantime computer technology has come a long way and there are several computers on the market capable of calculating multi-gas decompression profiles on the fly. Most divers who use these computers still do their deco on schedules they cut on their PC's and view the computer as a backup. The trick here is to find a computer that more or less corresponds to the schedules you cut on the PC. There are still some pretty significant differences.

R..

riddler:
Do DIR divers shun computers? Does the average DIR diver wear a computer?
I don't think I'm a hound, but I could be mistaken. :)

The answers to your two questions are "Yes. The use of computers is incompatible with DIR" and "No". There are any number of citations that establish this, PM if you would like details.

Doc

I would also say that if you are comfortable using your computer, that you shouldn't change anything right now. Continue to use your computer till you get proper training on different techniques before you decide to use it in gauge mode. Dive computers are not evil, however, many of us have found something that we feel works better.

It seems the DIR aversion to the use of computers has mostly to do with how it seems most divers use them - as something to tell them how much time they have left before they run out of "NDL" time so they don't have to figure it out before or during the dives, especially multilevel and multi day diving.

I realize one of SB's most respected DIR posters' line, "Computers Rot Your Brain," tends to be a bit inflamatory to a lot of folks. But my understanding is the reason behind the statement is that divers who rely on their computers are not using their brains to run the dive. A brain not used tends to atrophy.

Another problem is no computer, even the air integrated ones can't manage your gas for you. How many stories have we read on SB where the writer states something like, "we had XX minutes of NDL left" or "we were 'only' XX minutes into deco"? These folks are "riding" their computer and letting it dictate the profile of their dive. I wonder how many of the divers with "XX minutes into deco" have any contingencies in mind as to how to deal with it other than ascending to whatever 'ceiling' the computer tells them and staying there for however many minutes it tells them? Do these divers plan their dive in any way other than to follow the numbers the computer told them? Do they plan their gas needs? Do they plan a rock bottom turn pressure in case of a gas loss problem? And the big question that comes up a lot - what if the computer (lets call it an Air Integrated one for this scenario) craps out? If this happens at some deep depth (say 110'). Say the diver hadn't looked at it for a few minutes (lets say they check every 5 min, since that's how often I check my guage and SPG :wink:), then noticed it was not working... How many divers, especially newer ones, when used to "riding" their computers, narced at 110', are going to remember what those numbers on that dead computer said 5 minutes ago - I mean ALL of them - depth, time so far, time of NDL left or 'XX minutes into deco', gas remaining. How many will know how much deco they need to do at what depth and do they have the gas to do it?? A few might, however I would wager most don't.

I would also wager most of the DCS hits deemed "undeserved" based on a computer profile forgot to factor in such things as dehydration, alcohol the night before, sudafed taken to assist with clearing, working against a current or trying to keep up with a buddy who wants to swim a marathon, anxiety, been a year or two since the last dive vacation and unfamiliar with gear, etc... etc... etc...

Those are just a few of the rational for the DIR aversion to computers. Despite the claim of lemmingness, rigidity, inflexibility, one thing that was stressed in the DIR classes I've taken and observed is the developing of thinking divers :11:

As one who used to ride my computer (though I was in denial, as I didn't use the green bars, I used the actual numbers :rolleyes:) I will say it took me quite a few dives with a computer stashed in my pocket to refer to before I would trust my brain to track a profile safely. Turns out, even though my profiles are more conservative, I was able to get more bottom and total dive time, including multi level and day, by doing it this way than by riding the computer. And to top it off, I am exiting the water feeling way better, not to mention I rarely have the overwhelming need to take a nap before the next dive and don't get those annoying niggles even when the computer said I should not be bent!

Whew!! That was a lotta typing....
This hound's going back to the mutthouse where she belongs :wink:

Snowbear:
It seems the DIR aversion to the use of computers has mostly to do with how it seems most divers use them - as something to tell them how much time they have left before they run out of "NDL" time so they don't have to figure it out before or during the dives, especially multilevel and multi day diving.

I realize one of SB's most respected DIR posters' line, "Computers Rot Your Brain," tends to be a bit inflamatory to a lot of folks. But my understanding is the reason
....snip....

Well....you mentioned all kinds of problems but there's nothing here to make the argument that the computer is the cause of any of them.

The "thinking divers" mentality is the main thing and the kind of instrument you strap to your wrist has no bearing on a person's ability or willingness to think.

R..

Diver0001:
Well....you mentioned all kinds of problems but there's nothing here to make the argument that the computer is the cause of any of them.

The "thinking divers" mentality is the main thing and the kind of instrument you strap to your wrist has no bearing on a person's ability or willingness to think.

R..

I've dived with several pre-DIRF-ies who used AI hoseless computers and I think it impacts their awareness of gas management.

Diver0001:
Correct - it is the way the computer is used that causes the problems. IMO.
Diver0001:
True about the ability part.... I have seen otherwise as for the willingness and the actual doingness part, however :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom