Captive Great White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgdive

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought this was pretty funny. The Great White didn't eat the other "Soupfins" he just bit them because they wouldn't get out of his way. The remaining two soupfin sharks were probably ready to get the hell out of dodge.

Paul

"The Monterey Bay Aquarium's popular great white shark claimed its second victim in two weeks Wednesday when a soupfin shark died after being chomped by the bigger predator Monday.

The 5-foot soupfin was the second such shark to die from the great white's bite. The carcass of another soupfin -- missing a 2-foot section of its tail -- was found in the million-gallon Outer Bay tank last month.

Aquarium officials responded Wednesday by moving two remaining soupfins to another display.

Officials believe the young, 5-foot great white wasn't hunting but merely lashed out when it collided with slower-moving sharks. Experts believe there will be no further clashes between the great white and other tank mates, which include bluefin tuna, sea turtles and hammerhead and Galapagos sharks.

The great white is allowed to eat its fill during twice-daily feedings of dead salmon and mackerel to ensure that it won't be tempted to snack on tank neighbors, officials said"

Mental Note:
If diving and you see a great white behind you, move over and let him pass. They are the fish equivelanet of LA freeway drivers.

That is awesome news! I am glad to hear they have set her free. Does sound like she did well in cpativity judging by her weight and size gain

scubaculture:
That is awesome news! I am glad to hear they have set her free. Does sound like she did well in captivity judging by her weight and size gain
Mental note: Don't eat sharks, a Soupfin diet will really pack on the pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom