passin by Honolulu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

osoloMIO

New
Reaction score
hello all

Filipino diver passin by Honolulu for a couple of days on my way back to Manila from LA...

would u guys have tips on who to contact, and which dive spots would be kewl to visit? How different /similar are the spots from those in the Philippines (Batangas, Mindoro, Palawan, Tubattaha..)

dunno yet where ill be stayin, so any recommendations (nothin too pricey though) would be very much appreciated.

hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.

ps. check out our website:
www.pinoydive.com

or email me at osolomio@info.com.ph

:jester:

Most of the dive sites done by the commercial operators are wreck dives. Right offshore from Waikiki is YO-257 (or something like that) in 90-100 ft, then they take you to a turtle site for the shallower 2nd. On the leeward (w) coast, there are also wreck dives (a minesweeper at 90 ft) and a beechcraft at 80ft. On the leeward coast (e) is a Corsair airplane wreck. This seems to be the main focus of Oahu dive operators. Fish life is pretty good, coral not particularly noteworthy. Water temp in mid-70s.

I used 'Captain Bruce' this trip, but would not repeat. On an earlier trip some years ago, I used 'Reef Trekkers' who were pretty good.

No idea how it compares to Philippines! Never dove there...

As for accomodations, you can find many inexpensive hotels in Waikiki. We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki, right on the beach, for $85/night (but no view).

-Simon

As a former Oahu resident, I have had some varied diving experiences in Oahu.

On the South Shore (near Honolulu), there is Hanauma Bay, which has a good amount of fish life, as well as turtles etc. This is a shore dive, and is fun if the chop isn't too bad. Inquire about the trolley car ride down the hill and back up too- minimal cost and well worth not having to LUG your gear up the steep hill post-dive).
There is also an area on the south shore called Portlock, which is near Hawaii Kai-- this is nice for beginning divers, but quite frankly, can be quite boring unless the manta rays or turtles decide to appear

The Leeward ( East ) coast has some neat cavern formations and several dive ops will take you there, Capt Bruce (as mentioned in the previous thread) included. There is a wreck on this side as well. Also, one shore dive people often do is at Electric Beach
(named so b/c there is a generator near the beach)
The North Shore will be the best for shore diving, and is fun (and less expensive!). There are several dive shops right there in Haleiwa, which is the first town you will likely come to if you are driving up from Honolulu/Waikiki. Some good sites are Three Tables, Sharks Cove. The waves can get too big in the winter months, but die down in summer to almost bathwater like at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom