What type of computer and gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefbuilder

Registered
Reaction score
I am close, within a week, of purchasing my first set of dive equipment. Just got certified.

I want to buy the right stuff and am evaluating the hoseless option for the computer. I like the idea of no extra hoses. I will be diving with an Air2 and can get a retractable compass.

I have been looking at primarily Scubapro equipment since I have a dive shop I like close by and being an SSI shop, that is what they favor.

The smart com is nice but it is a console unit which gives me another hose. I have looked at the Aladin Air X and Air Z Nitrox. I can get a great deal on the Air X but can't program a Nitrox mix into it. Is that going to be a problem even if I dive with Nitrox someday, i.e. something I will regret. I know it will give me a much more conservative base but I have heard that some people won't even make those adjustments in their computers.

Any thoughts would help, hoseless or not? Air or Nitrox? Thank you.

Carl

reefbuilder:
I want to buy the right stuff and am evaluating the hoseless option for the computer. I like the idea of no extra hoses. I will be diving with an Air2 and can get a retractable compass.

Even with an air integrated/hoseless computer, many divers (including myself) will use a backup SPG in case the transmitter fails. I don’t want to go into the pros and cons of the AIR2 as the issue has been discussed ad nauseum on this board—I suggest that you do a search; I myself had an AIR2 but switched to a regular backup 2nd stage three years ago as I feel that the AIR2 and other similar alternate inflator regulator-type devices are not as safe as using two regular second stages in some situations.

I would definitely get a computer that is nitrox capable.

Thanks. I haven't committed to the Air2 yet but was trained on it and leaning that way. I will do a search and read up more before buying. I like the smart-com console from aladdin. I'm not planning on alot of wreck or cave diving at this time or other tight situations so maybe I'll just go with the console. Oh well, I'll decide within the next week after many more hours of research.

Hi reefbuilder,

You might seriously consider a modified long hose approach DIR style where the octo is on a bungee around your neck and instead of a 7' hose you could use a shorter one. The advantage is the octo is right where you need it in an emergency.
Cheers,
Sangp

Nitrox is great for altitude diving, and for diving in the range of 50 to 100 ft. It lowers your equivalent air depth, and therefore makes your diving safer. At a resort, you can do more diving safely with nitrox than you could diving with air.

If you had a really good diving instructor, he/she could have taught you to dive without a dive computer. However if you are going to rely on a dive computer, then a nitrox computer is definitely a good idea, since nitrox diving is definitely a good idea.

Some divers believe that air diving is just as safe as nitrox diving. But that is only true to 50 ft or shallower, and at sea level.

I passed on the extra $$ for a Nitrox compatible computer when I purchased my first computer. 1 year later I regreted it.

Its impossible to foresee everything you might want or need at the begining. I now own 2 bc's, a bunch of hoses, console boots, etc. All of this equipment works fine, but only time will dictate your rig.

Get what you can afford and dive as much as you can. If you can swing a nitrox computer, go for it. One thing I love is my DiveRite SPG. When I decided to move away from my console mounted guages, I ordered the
small SPG but my LDS made a mistake and had them ship the large SPG I love that thing. Easy to read, 100 psi increments and the red zone is flagged at 700psi.

Good luck.

I have the Uwatec Aladin Air X Nitrox (The blue one) and it is a very nice and reliable computer. No illumination though beside the fluorescing screen. Nevertheless, I have a SPG as a back up. Never really needed it as the computer never lost signal as for now.
I like the fact that the screen is big and not overloaded with information.

Like others, I'm not a fan of wireless transmitters.. a lot of money and headaches for no advantage at all. I'm a fan of wrist mounted computers or bottom timers, and keeping the SPG by itself somewhere pretty out of the way (like here)

This way, your most vital info (depth and dive time) is right there, easily accessible on your wrists, and you don't have some big clunky console dragging in the water below you.

Computers eh. My question is. Why get a wrist computer when you STILL have to look at your presure gauge for that aditional info. If cost is an issue I can understand, but it isn't why not put it all in one place. I ended up getting a Sherwood Wisdom. So far it seams pretty great!! All the info right there, it calculates estimated BT based on consumption etc, of course does nitrox, has alarms to get your attention when your chasing a 20ft shark...hmmm. Anyway, good luck and happy shopping.

Chad_Ordelheide:
Computers eh. My question is. Why get a wrist computer when you STILL have to look at your presure gauge for that aditional info. If cost is an issue I can understand, but it isn't why not put it all in one place. I ended up getting a Sherwood Wisdom. So far it seams pretty great!! All the info right there, it calculates estimated BT based on consumption etc, of course does nitrox, has alarms to get your attention when your chasing a 20ft shark...hmmm. Anyway, good luck and happy shopping.

Consoles are bulky. That is why I do not use one.

I clip my SPG to my shoulder strap, so I can see it easily, and that alone is not bulky at all. Some divers clip theirs to their waste strap. That works too, just that I would rather be able to see my gauge without having to unclip it to look at it.

Computers are a crutch. I do not use one. But a lot of new divers need them, in order to learn about NDLs and MODs and Nitrox, and so they are good for that, as a teaching device.

Integrated computers are the most expensive devices that you can get. After a few years of diving, there is a good chance you will not want it anymore, and would prefer just an SPG and a bottom timer (which is a combination clock and depth gauge which costs a lot less than a computer).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom