Local Lake dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am here going partially stir crazy, I want to get wet but am lazy so was wondering if anyone has done any local lake diving as of late?? I know that the lake levels are at a pretty much record level and I wonder if the viz has gone well is it below 3 feet??

I haven't been to the valley lakes in about a month, but all the rain kept the viz down. Since we're still having the occasional shower every now and then, I don't think it's going to be a typical winter of decent viz for the lakes.

We did dive Mead and Mohave last weekend, though, and the viz was pretty good there - 20-30' both lakes.

I'm going to go out to Pleasant tomorrow to take a look for maybe a dive the following weekend. I'm going crazy too and would be happy with 10'.

Was out at Saguaro last weekend and the water looked pretty bad. But there were divers out there.

Dive-aholic, what was the temp at Mohave?

CB

That water is always bad at Saguaro, but I do know of an LDS that uses it regularly for classes.

Mohave was 59. I talked to some divers that dive it pretty often and was told that's pretty much the temp year round. I guess the flow from the Colorado doesn't give it a chance to warm up at all, but it does keep the viz up!

Fishkiller:
So I am here going partially stir crazy, I want to get wet but am lazy so was wondering if anyone has done any local lake diving as of late?? I know that the lake levels are at a pretty much record level and I wonder if the viz has gone well is it below 3 feet??
i use to live in prescott, you may want to check out some of the lakes around there, flagstaff? i saw a show on lake mead and it looked cool. we have the same problem here in the midwest, few lakes and poor viz. good luck

pete v:
i use to live in prescott, you may want to check out some of the lakes around there, flagstaff? i saw a show on lake mead and it looked cool. we have the same problem here in the midwest, few lakes and poor viz. good luck

I haven't been diving in Prescott, but from what I've seen of them, the viz doesn't look that great. I also stopped in the LDS there a few months ago and the guy in the store (kayaker, not diver) didn't seem to think they did local diving. Have you had good viz in them?

Ok, I had to get in on this one.
I'm going to be in Apache Junction (East of Phoenix) next Thursday, Friday (21st,22nd). Is anyone available to dive in the area then? I was hoping for an afternoon and night dive on Thurs or Friday.
I should have access to my mother in laws vehicle, so I can be fairly self reliant.....
I don't know the area, so I would have to have some directions too.
Not that it makes a differance, I'll be diving dry.
PM me if you are interested.
Greg

Dive-aholic:
I haven't been diving in Prescott, but from what I've seen of them, the viz doesn't look that great. I also stopped in the LDS there a few months ago and the guy in the store (kayaker, not diver) didn't seem to think they did local diving. Have you had good viz in them?
it has been 6 years since i have been back to az, when i was living there i wasnt diver cert. but friends of mine at the time said they had tried it and it was marginal at best. but that was along time ago. i live in the mid west now (kc area) and we have the same problems out here few places to dive with moderate viz. but its wet and i am blowing bubble so it cant be all that bad.

Fishkiller:
Just wondering if you dove lake Pleasant and how was it? I live in North Phoenix and need to get in the water!!

tracydr:
Just wondering if you dove lake Pleasant and how was it? I live in North Phoenix and need to get in the water!!
as of yesterday (5-1-05) conditions are
- Above 30' , vis is 10 feet or so, temp is around 62°

- Below 30', vis dropped to 5 feet, temp dropped to 59°

here's a photo from around 15' deep (taken at dirty shirt area, we're actually over the paved road, and thats a 21w HID light)

the 2nd photo is at around 40 feet, when we found a baseball cap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom