Mask under hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read here that several people wear their mask with the straps are under the hood. The advantage would be that it would be more secure should someone knock it or on those rough surface entries. Are there any disadvantages?

The face seal won't seal where the straps go through. In warm water it probably isn't an isuue, in 35 degree water it is.

Diversauras:
The face seal won't seal where the straps go through. In warm water it probably isn't an isuue, in 35 degree water it is.

Okay. That's a good point, but I actually wear two hoods (long explanation you don't need to hear), so the mask will be between them, so the bottom hood will seal.

It may be ok with a slap strap or the plastic one that comes with most masks....but it wouldnt work with those masks that have adjustable pull strap mechanisms that are situated behind the head. Way to bulky and would def cause a leak

nkw5:
I've read here that several people wear their mask with the straps are under the hood. The advantage would be that it would be more secure should someone knock it or on those rough surface entries. Are there any disadvantages?

With a slap strap over my mask strap, its like velcro on my hood - In hundreds of dives I've never had my mask move - except when I'm not paying attention and my buddy wacks my grill with a fin.

I dive a drysuit, and tuck in my hood - it won't work for me, as the mask is the last thing on. Its also the first thing off when I hit the surface. I don't really get the inside the hood thing.

---
Ken

nkw5:

Assuming the mask does not have a huge, honking strap and the strap will NOT cause a "leak" around the edge of your hood and allow water to flow through:

Advantages

Topside it's easier to seal the hood properly because you don the mask then pull the hood up over your head

Less likely to lose the mask if it's knocked loose

DISadvantages

If you had to do so, it is very difficult to replace the mask without pulling the hood back; a very uncomfortable task in cold water. But you say you wear two hoods so that might not be a problem.

Topside you cannot don or remove the mask without first pulling back the hood.

My position

For a long time I wore the mask strap under the hood but currently wear it over the hood. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom