What is your Opinion about the:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decoeric

Reaction score
What do you guys thing about the Dive Rite NiTek Duo dive computer. I am in the market for a new computer. Likes - Dislikes? Give me your opinions...

Thanks,

eric

i know several divers who use it and swear by it.

the only drawback i saw was that its PO2 is pre-set at 1.6 and you can't
change it. nothing wrong with that, per se, but i like 1.4

I thought the first gas was 1.4 and the second was 1.6, since it's supposed to be first gas=primary, second gas=deco.

that may be, but i'm pretty sure the first gas is 1.6

also, i believe the second gas is also 1.6

hopefully an owner will come along soon

Okey-dokey, here's the 'official' answer:

According to the manual:

NiTek Owner's Manual:
Nitrox specific warnings occur when
the diver approaches or exceeds a limiting PO2 of 1.4 atmospheres for mix1 and 1.6 atmospheres for mix2, and
when cumulative exposure to elevated PO2s exceeds
recommended limits.

NiTek Owner's Manual:
If you are using mix1 and exceed a PO2 of 1.4
atmospheres, an audible alarm sounds for three seconds, and the
PO2 value, PO2 symbol, and current depth blink. If you exceed a
PO2 of 1.6 atmospheres, in addition to the above audible and
visual alarms, the OLI bar graph flashes. If you are using mix2
and exceed a PO2 of 1.6 atmospheres, all visible alarms appear
and the audible alarm sounds twice.

hmmm... interesting...

i spoke to an owner who was bummed out because he couldn't ajust the
P02 and it was pre-set to 1.6

and then i checked with another owner who confirmed it.

maybe they were talking about gas 2 and i thought they meant both 1 and 2

wait... does it say anything as to wether MOD's are calculated with
1.4 and 1.6 for gases 1 and 2 respectively?

Decoeric,

The TUSA IQ-700 will do all the same functions, and has a downloader and software available - as well as scratch protector standard. Last I knew Dive Rite was still messing around with trying to come up with the download software as a version of NiTek Logic, and wasn't done yet, and don't offer a scratch protector. I'll be trying my TUSA out in a few weeks. Try giving Larry a call at Scubatoys . . . .
http://www.scubaboard.com/t77896-very-pleased-with-tusas-iq-700.html

My TUSA IQ-700 is ppO2 1.4 MIX 1 and 1.6 MIX 2 - so maybe Dive Rite did something screwy? I noticed their manual shows a different icon for altitude adjustment than either the TUSA IQ-700 or the Apeks Quantum (I like the Apeks owner's manual the best - they're all available as pdf downloads).

I did buy a Dive Rite cinch strap - same one for the NiTek Duo fits the TUSA - but I'm not sure I like it vs. the factory strap. I'll try both ways under water and decide. I have skinny wrists - elliptical with more than 2:1 ratio - and it's not contoured very well for my wrists - my NiTek 3 is actually contoured better.

Numbers are easy to read and it has backlighting, for likes vs. my NiTek 3. Dislikes are the color bars for N2 & O2 are thin and hard to see - and I expect that might be exacerbated underwater, but I'll easily remeber there's eight 'dots' per side. I'm toying with painting more clearly visible bars on the scratch protector just for reference. Other dislike is the N2 and O2 bar graph sides are opposite the NiTek 3. NiTek 3 has N2 bar on the right of the screen, O2 bar on the left of the screen. My intent is one will back up the other, but when you check each one, you have to make sure you're reading it correctly. Something more I'm toying with labeling better by a little paint on the IQ-700 scratch protector.

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread.... but I was sitting at 999 posts... and that bothered me... so here's number 1000.

Shoot, Larry, after I left the comparison of the TUSA IQ-700 2 year warranty vs. Dive Rite Duo 1 year warranty wide open for you here . . .

Back
Top Bottom