Mask sore spot question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I have a Scubapro Fino mask. It fits great and is comfortable. One thing, after wearing it for longer periods of time, my face, just between my nose and mouth (above upper lip) gets sore. Is this the mask or something that will kinda happen no matter which mask if worn for a while.

Thanks

oversea:
I have a Scubapro Fino mask. It fits great and is comfortable. One thing, after wearing it for longer periods of time, my face, just between my nose and mouth (above upper lip) gets sore. Is this the mask or something that will kinda happen no matter which mask if worn for a while.

Thanks

It might be too tight? Does it leave a dent (too tight) or is it just all red (like rubbing?)

Could your second stage be pushing your top lip thing (sort of where lip and nose meet) into a funny extruded shape that's make it hurt there?

A mask doesn't have to be TIGHT to work... I never got the deal with people who come out of the water with the circular mask mark on their grill. I never have one, and my mask dives bone dry.

It must either be a "too tight" thing, a "hit in the wrong place" thing or a "too tight in the wrong place" thing...

Big help Ken...

oversea:

Thanks

It could just be the way you are pinching your nose to compensate during descents. You may be squeezing the upper lip.
On a similar theme a few times I noticed I had small burns on my upper lip after wreck diving and I realised I was picking up fragments of stuff off the wreck on my glove and then pushing them against my lip.
Nowadays I am very careful just to pinch the tip of my nose without putting any pressure/contact on the lip.

Is there a sharp edge on the mask skirt there?
Maybe a little molding flash?

Do you shave?
Could it be a combination of razor burn irritated by the mask?

Does it happen without the regulator in your mouth?
It might be that the reg in your mouth pushes your upper lip (actually just above it) into the mask skirt. This may be cured by a different mask of a VERY CAREFUL trim of the mask skirt.

Depending on how bad it is, you might want to live with it but it is usually better to do whatever it takes to make your mask fit perfectly and comfortably.

When I was working I would be in a mask for many hours every day so I wanted it to fit right.

It is not a sore thing or like a burn. The comment about too tight could be a likely cause. It takes a while to start but when it does, it bothers me. I'd say it is more like a pressure thing. I don't believe I have my mask too tight, but for sh_ts and giggles, I'm going loosen it a bit.
Thanks

oversea:
It is not a sore thing or like a burn. The comment about too tight could be a likely cause. It takes a while to start but when it does, it bothers me. I'd say it is more like a pressure thing. I don't believe I have my mask too tight, but for sh_ts and giggles, I'm going loosen it a bit.
Thanks

I exhale thru my nose just to be sure its not, like, vacuumed to my face. When you loosten it up, on your descent you may try blowing a puff into the mask - the extra will just push out. Someone here told me that long ago, and its been great.

Hope it all works.

---
Ken

I use to have the same problem with a different mask. I found out that it was because of where on my head I put the mask strap. I was putting it up higher on my head and it was pulling the mask up just enough to make that area sore.

This happens to me sometimes, I just pull the mask a touch lower on my face and it's fine. This mask is way better then previous masks i've owned, so a different mask might be a solution as well.

crpntr133:
I use to have the same problem with a different mask. I found out that it was because of where on my head I put the mask strap. I was putting it up higher on my head and it was pulling the mask up just enough to make that area sore.

That makes sense to me

All of the above comments/combinations have happened to me as well at one point or another. If the above comments don't help and you find the new mask to be ill fitting then get a new one asap because a small irritation will be a huge one by the end of a long week of diving. Good luck. Really helpful suggestions here! :bang:

Back
Top Bottom