Curiosity ?? about wreck reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just wondering how much line is typically on a reel used for cave or wreck diving?

We use the Halcyon 400 foot reels. They also sell one that holds 800. In many caves there is a perenant line that starts a ways back in the cave. The primary is then used to run a line from open water to the permenant line. I use the same reels for wreck diving. We also carry 150 foot spools and reels for safety reels and for jump/gap reels. I must, however add the disclaimer that you shouldn't use any reel/line unless trained for overhead diving. The same line that is to lead you to open water can tie you up and prevent you from reaching open water, not to mention the other million things that can go wrong.

Thanks Mike!

No plans for cave diving but may wreck penetration next year.
Right now I'm interested in measuring distance for a project I'm planning. No overhead environment.

BTW---whats your shops name? I would like to drop by on my next trip to Blue Springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom