how do you.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fast97rs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Spear fish?....

OK... im learning to be patient... LOL

What equipment do i need to start? I know... I know... a spear gun... and a boat... so far i got the boat....

How much should i pay for the spear gun? im looking for a for something about 48" long....

but what else?

Please be specific... and state the differences between options...

Thanks everyone!

Jorgy

Check out the "new underwater hunter" thread that has been popular today. There is so much to say, so much you need to know, but its all pretty simple.

Yea... i started that thread...

but figured this one would be more specific....

thanks though....

Jorgy

Get a Spearfishing Specialties or Sea Hornet 48" gun. Sometimes they can be found used on spearboard.com and such. I got mine new after a tourney (often on prize table) for around $150 from someone who didn't need another one, but had to travel 90 minutes to pick it up.

Get a metal stringer or lobster bag (stringers have less drag) for keeping your catch. Get a couple of stainless steel 2-3" clips for attaching to your BC.

Get extra spears or speartips for your gun, as you may loose some when starting out. For that matter, always keep an extra band handy in case one breaks. If you decide to use a line for your gun, I've found mono (500 lb or so) a good line to use that doesn't get tangled up in rocks and such when loose. Check out the speed-load system SS uses for quick storage of your line, it works pretty well and stay away from coil-style line as catches/tangles quickly.

There's a spearfishing seminar in FL coming up, sponsored by SS. It's posted on spearboard also. Always helps the learning curve some.

Speaking of learning curve - it's well worth it to invite a good spearo on the boat and spend a couple of dives WATCHING what they do. Get a lot of what to try to do from that :)

Ok thanks man!

OK... but if you don't attach a line to your shaft... how do you retrieve the animal after you take your shot... or how do you retrieve a fish that does not die right away.... i figure that you just start pulling the fish in, then just finish the kill with your knife... or just continue holding the fish on the line untill it is finally dead....

Thats what i have in my head... is that the way its done? Or am i completly off base?

P.S.
were is the spearing seminar.......

Here's the site where info on seminar is: http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16320

Only larger fish will swim off with your spear - think about it - 48" of steel in a 5 to 10 lb fish - comparatively, its like us running around carrying around a 50 lb weight or more. Believe me, they don't go far..........

Generally, its best to swim to the fish, rather than pull the fish to you. You don't want to increase drag and/or fight the fish if you don't have to. Most times, they are simply stunned that they have a spear in them and if they have no resistance/line, will just sit there stupid. Grab them by the inside of their gills and pin them to the ground and string them up through eyes or mouth/gills (particularly if you have a triggerfish - they'll bite constantly, so better through the mouth).

But, if you do spear a larger fish, like a 20 lb grouper, they WILL swim off with your spear if its not attached to you. That's where shot placement to stone/kill or incapacitate them counts. The seminar helps out where to aim quite a bit. In clear water, you can do it without a line - called freeshafting.

Nikki :fish:

thank you!

I really appreciate your info....

but what do you mean by string up? Stab them? Thats fin... just want to make sure i know what your talking about......

P.S.
What is the basic gear that i wold need to begin spear fishing...

thanks

Jorgy

there is a newbie section on www.deeperblue.net you should check out. lots of good info.

can't find it.... i am on the web site but can't find the info...

thanks... all you guys have really helped... i appreciate this!

Thank you again!

Jorgy

P.S.
What is a powerhead and a boomstick?

Back
Top Bottom