Lakes Mead and Mohave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We just took a trip up to Lake Mead NRA for a few days to camp and dive. Did some research on the 'net and found a couple of sites that claim Mead to be one of the top 10 freshwater dive sites. I haven't seen the list, and I don't know if this is in the nation, in the southwest, or in NV, but I didn't see the appeal. Granted Mead is about 70' low and we only did shore dives (no charters going out), but other than having about 20' of viz it just wasn't that great. Sandy bottom, slow shallow descents, fish habitats with no fish in sight. We're not writing it off completely, but I think we'll wait for the charters to go and the level to rise.

Mohave OTOH was great for fresh water. Rocky bottoms, steep bottoms that almost seem like walls, 30' of viz even at depth (and 100' could be reached from shore). Didn't see any fish there either, but we did swim by an outboard boat that we didn't expect. We heard there's a school bus in the same cove but couldn't find it, on this trip. The only drawback is it's in the mid 50s year round, but we dive dry so that's not that big a deal, and it's what keeps the viz at 30' + year round.

Anyone else have any experiences at either of these lakes?

I haven't dove either of these lakes yet but hope to soon. Would love to dive the B-29 thats in Mead, but I believe its still off limits. Hadn't heard of Mojave, I'll have to look it up on a map. Right now I'm exploring my area, Yuma, to see what freshwater diving I can find.

As far as I know, the restriction on the B-29 expired Jan 21. That's the latest they have at the visitor's center too. However, I'm sure if lake patrol sees anyone in the area, they will give them a hard time.

As far as I know, there's nothing in Yuma. You have a lake not far from there - Lake Martinez. I haven't been there, but I wouldn't put too much expectations into it. Your best bet would be Havasu, but according the the depth map I have, it only gets to about 40' and I haven't had good experience with viz there. Mohave is between Mead and Havasu. It's part of the Lake Mead NRA. The best sites to dive are on the Arizona side. Bullhead City and Laughlin are both 5 minutes from Mohave. We dove Cabinsite Point (just follow the signs from Katherine Landing), but from what I was told, there are a bunch of coves right around Cabinsite that all have good diving for freshwater.

Also, PM sent.

Thanks for the reply Rob. I also replied to your PM. I'm actually closer or just as close to San Diego as I am to Havasu, I'd rather dive ocean anyway. I still have a couple places to check out here, but so far none have been very promising. I hear there's Mexico diving not far away, about 4 hours or so to Rocky Point. I just moved to this area and its still pretty new to me.

Scuba Cowboy:
Thanks for the reply Rob. I also replied to your PM. I'm actually closer or just as close to San Diego as I am to Havasu, I'd rather dive ocean anyway. I still have a couple places to check out here, but so far none have been very promising. I hear there's Mexico diving not far away, about 4 hours or so to Rocky Point. I just moved to this area and its still pretty new to me.

Rocky Point is close, but is not a particularly attractive dive spot - it is right at the top of the Sea of Cortez, and the tidal action is enormous. So there's lots of sandy beaches and stirred up sediment and the like. I am still looking for decent dive spots in the area - and if you come across any, I would love to hear about them - because my family in Tucson is very excited about Rocky Point (more properly known as Puerto Penasco).

There is much better diving farther on down the eastern shore of the Sea of Cortez. San Carlos is the more attractive and accessible dive destination, and has dive shops and operators handy, but there are other places to dive north of San Carlos. (If you don't know where San Carlos is, look for Guaymas on a map of Mexico - a port city about a day's drive from Phoenix or Tucson - and San Carlos is right across the bay). It's a longer drive than Rocky Point, but incomparably better for diving.

Scuba Cowboy:

I got the PM, Dale. I'll get in touch closer to the dates.

San Diego would be better than Havasu. As Stirling said, Rocky Point isn't all that great. Definitely not worth the drive when you can get to San Diego in less time. San Carlos is decent diving, but I think you'd be looking at a 10-12 hour drive from Yuma. You might start regretting this move! :wink:

Dive-aholic:
I got the PM, Dale. I'll get in touch closer to the dates.

San Diego would be better than Havasu. As Stirling said, Rocky Point isn't all that great. Definitely not worth the drive when you can get to San Diego in less time. San Carlos is decent diving, but I think you'd be looking at a 10-12 hour drive from Yuma. You might start regretting this move! :wink:

Say it ain't so! I'm used to driving a bit for good diving, had to travel 3 hours to Monterey. There was great diving an hour or so away, but too rough a good part of the year. No, I don't think I'll regret it, I had good reasons for coming here. I'm opening a dive shop here soon and that should be interesting. It will keep me busy!

Great, another dive shop in Yuma. The last one used Yuma lakes. You gotta se em. Remember, flying after diving, on the way back from SD. The Colorado down by Algodones should be great sport. Maybe try it as a night dive. I hear the helicopters make great dive lights. Martinez Lake, you could run a ground and still not get your back wet. Fear the fishermen.

adios don O

Heading up to Laughlin this weekend and was hoping to get a dive or two in on Saturday morning. I've read back a few threads and was wondering if anybody has done a dive there recently? Any new info? We haven't been there so where's a good first time dive site?

Thanks for any info

CB

Craig, head over to Cabinsite. For Lake Mohave, enter the national recreation area near Katherine Landing, pay your $5/vehicle which is good for 5 days of entry and follow the signs to Cabinsite. On the weekend, the place will be packed with swimmers and jet skiers, but they're usually pretty considerate of the dive flag. There's a boat in the north cove off Cabinsite and a bus and van in the south cove. See my website for directions to them. They're pretty easy to find. The bus and van are also close enough that with the right viz you can see both of them when you're halfway between them. I haven't found any other shore accessible sites that are easily accessible and have anything worth diving there. Have fun in Laughlin!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom