My Nikonos VI Dream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I had a dream.

Nikon released the Nikonos VI digital underwater camera. Because you do not need to load film, the entire body is sealed with only access screws and an oring sealed backplate to allow service. The camera uses the 40+ year lense bayonet system allowing attachment of any of the existing Nikonos lenses. Because the lense well is sealed, a lense accident will not flood the inside of the camera saving all that valuable digital circuitry (your flooded lense would need to be serviced). The bayonet has sealed contacts allowing Nikon to release a new series of UW autofocus lenses. You can use the old 80mm or a new surface zoom lense if you want to shoot the camera above water. Maybe (and I am dreaming now) it could have an adapter and optical components so standard Nikon slr lenses will fit (not for underwater use though). Now I can use all my old lenses and strobes, buy new stuff if I want to upgrade, and have a digital camera for UW and surface use if I want it. Nikon has decided (again I am dreaming) to price the camera so the street price is below $1,500. I am the first in line to buy this camera. Nikon can still make a profit from its existing lense systems. Ike can still sell his strobes. Do you like my dream?

—Bob

Add one of those batteries that does not need a cord to recharge (like those Sonic Care toothbrush or Kowalski underwater light) and 802.11g or some other fast wireless connection for image transfer so the camera will never need to be opened and a real viewfinder like in SLR camera then Nikonos VI will be golden!

Before digital, the RS was the answer to a lot of photographers' dreams, except for the price tag and tendency to flood.
As a long-time user of Nikonos V and a housed film SLR, I think the current crop of housed digital SLRs (I have the D70) are the answer to a lot of dreams: no film to change or develop, immediate feedback, and hundreds of shots on one dive. But I'll join you guys on the waiting list for a Nikonos VI.

LOL... ok, so I'll bite....

You're just dreaming right??? there is NO VI out there???
If so, do you have a link??

In a search, yes I did do a search here, it comes up with "Nikon is not doing a VI..." so I just thought I'd bite an ask a dumb questions...

Ya got me.... heheh.. but ?? is there one?? LOL...
Put this little mind to rest and tell me there isn't one...

thanx..

I don't like your dream I love your dream. When you get Nikon to make one put me on the "I want one know list".

Becky

well Nikon wont ever do it but maybe someday some techno geek will stuff digital guts into a RS body, now that would be a dream camera!!

Why not go out and build one? Unfortunately I fear that you would still need a full-size sensor to make the 15mm lens worthwhile. Maybe someone could take a sensor from a gutted Kodak camera, fit it into a Nik V and cut a window for an LCD screen.

<<waving credit card frantically over head>>

I have cash and I'll pay right now !

All the best, James

ssra30:

Thanks for reminding me that you do need a way to power the sucker and download pictures. I have just incorporated your improvements into my dream. Now, if Nikon is only listening....

fpool:

I really wish I could tell you it was real. Just fantasy for the moment.

Vlad, Chris:

One of the wonderful salesmen at Helix in Chicago let me drool over an RS a few years ago. It did not damage the camera. What a wonderful camera (except for the $$). It was part of the inspiration for my dream. Maybe the Nikon VI will have an adapter for the RS lense system so those pros (or wealthy) who bot the system can still use their lenses.

Eagle:

There is plenty of old equipment out there for the inventor to work on. I am sure I do not have your mechanical skill. If you can figure it out, post the blueprints!

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom